SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mylab123

best pink flowering hydrangea, advice please?

mylab123
10 years ago

As you can tell by my info, I live in a zone where only a hardy hydrangea, probably blooming on it's new wood, will do. The summer sun is very hard and hot so I have to plant on the north side of my house as there is little afternoon shade elsewhere. Here, the heat builds from about 11Am and peaks at 5pm, very slowly cooling off after that, with the sun completely set as late as 10:30pm on the longer days of summer.

I want to plant a pink repeating bloomer, similar in blooming length as the Incrediball, which gives me two long sessions of blooms in late spring/early summer and again in Autumn, when it is cooling off. I have three Incrediball hydrangeas in the bed this one will go in and they do wonderfully - the light, soil and moisture must be just right.

I do need a pink that has strong enough stems to support the blooms. The blooms dont need to be big but they need to be similar to the more round blooms like Incrediball and the bush needs to be smaller, like the Endless Summers, which were an utter failure for me. I ripped them all out in the spring of their fifth year in the ground after only maybe one bloom per plant per year.

Is there a hydrangea out there which could work for me? I have learned to ask gardeners my plant questions as I have found catalogs are generally not "completely fully disclosing" when it comes to the info about the plants they want you to buy! ;)

Thank to all who can be of help.

Comments (4)

Sponsored
Landscape Management Group
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars29 Reviews
High Quality Landscaping Services in Columbus