SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
janicecinmd

Dirr's Recommendations?

janicecinmd
16 years ago

I followed Dirr's book and bought Ami Pasquer, Generale Vicomtesse de Vibraye, and 2 new Preziosa-I already own Nikko Blue, Endless Summer, Merritt's Supreme, Glowing Embers, Kuhnert, Pia, Beni Gaku, Preziosa and some others that I've lost tags, etc. Well, my Nikko, Preziosa, Beni & an unknown lacecap are all doing fantastic this year(loaded with big healthy blooms and nice green foliage), as are many others, but as usual my 3 year old Endless Summer, which is about 2 feet high and wide, has only one bud(plus it's in a prime spot, AM sun, PM shade). Ami & Generale are still tiny and all old wood died this winter so only new growth, which I assume will give me NO flowers this year. These two are in prime spots, too. So, this being said, I think I'm going to have to just make babies of MY best ones and plant all my "mistakes" in my woodland garden(not even my property!) where they can be forever green and be an occasional meal for the deer. I guess I just have such frustration when I hear about Endless Summer being so great and I'm lucky to get 2-3 flowers per year! At least I have my old reliables! On another note, I planted a cheap Wal-Mart "assorted hydrangea" in a large pot this past fall and over wintered it in my unheated garage, and it is loaded with beautiful pinkish-red 4-5" blooms! This was my first time trying a "pot" hydrangea in over 12 years of growing them outside-more rewarding, but I wish it would bloom in the ground!

Comments (3)

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting