SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
iowa50126

So...What are you doing with all those leaves?

iowa50126
18 years ago

It's mid October and the Fall leaf drop is upon us.

What are you doing with your leaves? Mow-mulching them into the lawn? Raking and bagging for the compost pile? Ignoring them and hoping they will blow over to the neighbor's before the snow falls? Or ... GOD forbid ... burning them?

I've been taking bags from the "rake and bag" people on my block to shred with my mower and use in my flower beds and compost bin. I also mow-mulch the leaves from my trees into the lawn. I've only got 7 trees and it's easy to do. Most of the "rake and bag" folks then haul their bags to a near by farm for dumping or burning. So, when I offer to take them and bring back the empty bags...they usually agree to the offer.

A lot of my neighbors are in the "ignore them and hope they blow away by Thanksgiving" group. (lol)

I've tried to evangelise (in a nice way) to a couple of my "rake and burn" neighbors about how wasteful leaf burning is ... but the fires keep burning anyway. Leaf burning is still OK here in Iowa Falls, unless there is a fire danger from drought. I wish it was banned...

Pete In I.F.

Comments (5)

Sponsored