SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
michaelnelson_gw

Gearing up for summer outdoor hydro tomatoes

michaelnelson
12 years ago

Hi all... I'm new on this forum, good to meet you!

I've got some experience with indoor DWC and did very well with it, but I'm a total noob to other systems and trying to run them outdoors.

What I'd like to do is run a dozen or so hydro tomatoes (and maybe some peppers) outside this summer, but I'm having a hard time settling on a system because they all seem to major downsides.... here's been my thinking:

1) DWC: Out. My experiments with DWC have been that when the water temp goes over about 72F, the system doesn't work great. It gets over 100 degrees here in my neck of the woods in the summer. I'm not interested in dealing with a chiller.

2) Dutch buckets: Maybe. I like the concept, but that's a lot of expensive media that I don't want to buy or store during the off season. Can you just use a little 3" netpot at the top and let the roots dangle in the bucket?

3) Flood & drain buckets: Maybe. Same problem as the Dutch bucket system... lots and lots of media.

4) NFT: Strong maybe. I like the idea of just a little bit of media, but is a 4" or 5" gully big enough for large tomatoes? I like the corrugated pipe system people have been talking about. How heat tolerant would this system be?

One more concept I'd like you brainiacs help me understand... I've done a fair bit of dirt gardening, and love air pruning seedlings. My question is, why wouldn't air pruning be a problem in NFT when most of gully is just air space?

I'd love to hear your comments, thanks....

Comments (25)