SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
loveshydrangeas_gw

Singing the Hydrangea blues...

LovesHydrangeas
17 years ago

...because mine are still PINK. By the way, interesting post about the purple hydrangea and the information about using a stronger aluminum sulphate solution than is normally referenced. Anyhow, does anyone have an idea for the following...

Bought a Nikko Blue last year that had great blue blooms when purchased, so I know it can be blue if it wants to. Planted in a plastic pot using mostly peat moss, pine bark and some soil specifically for acid loving plants. Did the usual aluminum sulphate & iron sulphate additions for acid soil. I even add about 1 1/2 tsp cider vinegar per 2 gal every time I water since I suspect high PH water. Despite all that, my Nikko Blue is blooming a raging pink. (Have an ES in a large stone pot which also bloomed out pink. I think that's partly due to the container, but some blooms are half pink/half bluish purple - pretty cool looking.)

Would super high PH water counteract all of the above steps on the Nikko? Someone (in Atlanta I think) posted last year that he uses 3 tbs aluminum sulphate EVERY time he waters. Think he said he'd always done that, not just during the pre-bloom time and his plants were fine. My Nikko is thriving so the vinegar isn't hurting it, but is there something I've missed to make it blue? Hate to beat this subject to death, but it's frustrating to do everything you're supposed to and still not get the color you want.

Any ideas are most welcome. Thank you in advance. (Hay, pictures you always post are one of my favorite parts of this forum - gorgeous stuff!)

Comments (9)