SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kyocius

Severe Ant Problem

kyocius
17 years ago

Hi. This is one of my first posts because I am new to the GW. I basically need some opinions here (sorry but this is a bit long). My DH and I bought our first house last summer. Everything was fine until we received a HUGE rain storm that lasted days. Ants started coming into our house and I even had a mound of them in the mailbox (I'm talking 4 inch diameter by 4 inch high mound). Okay... they would swarm and look for anything (they are pavement ants). I got Terminix. Now, almost a year later, they do not swarm like they used to in the house, BUT they are still around. Terminix treats the outside of the house, baits the outside of the house, and we have 5 baits inside the house. They empty out the inside poison baits in about 3 weeks (there is a continuous feed all day and all night on them). The baits keep them from finding and swarming a crum here or there in the house, BUT I still find these things wandering everywhere. Across the living room floor you'll see 10-20 just traveling. In the bedroom now too (there is absolutely NOTHING in the bedroom for them to find... no food EVER in there). There are constantly ants crawling somewhere in the kitchen just looking (I have to keep everything spotless at all times and let me tell you what a PITA that is). They wander in the basement AND in the bathroom (all winter as well). The bathroom gets me almost worse than the kitchen. The pest guy tells me they are looking for water... well, there is plenty of water outside now for them to access and they are still here. On the walls, in the shower, on the toilet, on the sink. Not hundreds, but you can probably see 20 or so scattered just in the bathroom at one time (and 10-20 in each room). The nest is apparently under our central air slab thats next to the house. He said we had ants in the winter because some got trapped inside after everything froze. If thats the case, now we have a nest somewhere in the house, correct? And if so, shouldn't these things be dying if they are going through all this ant bait poison? Am I being ridiculous about the ants in the house? Is this a small amount of ants? We have a brickface stucco home, and sealing up every crack would be impossible. We have a dog (chocolate lab) so we need animal friendly stuff I guess... is it less effective? He tells me they are wandering because they are dying from the poison. It seems like they are giving an excuse for everything instead of trying harder to control the problem. Do I try another pest company? Is it a do it yourself to get it done right situation (I really don't have the time). Any opinions would be great and sorry for such a long post. Thanks.

Comments (6)