Touch not a single bough!

In youth it sheltered me,

And I'll protect it now.

'Twas my forefather's hand

That placed it near his cot;

There, woodman, let it stand,

Thy axe shall harm it not..."

by George Pope Morris

Last summer my town condemned an American ash tree on my street boulevard. They said it would be cut down last fall. However, I guess the fund for tree removal was a little short and the 50 to 60 trees the city condemned did not all get cut down.

But, it's a new year and the city is now out removing trees this week as the weather is warm. The crew chief knocked on my door this morning and said my tree was on the list for tomorrow.

And...had I noticed that the Linden tree next to the Ash had a large split in the main crotch. I had lost the top 10 feet of the tree last fall when it broke off in a thunder storm. It didn't fall to the ground until around Halloween.

So, now 2 of the 3 trees in my front yard are now on the cut list. The linden tree is damaged and weak and ...IF... the tree service guy says that they "might as well" cut it down too ... it will be firewood tomorrow night.

I gave them my blessing to cut it down, if they choose to.

So now I can plan on planting a tree or two this spring or perhaps this fall. I wish I had a crystal ball to tell me which tree on the town's list of acceptable trees was the tree least likely to fall prey to a disease or insect 40 years from now.

Well, just like they say ... "one door closes, another door opens"

Pete in I.F.

Comments (2)

Sponsored