SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cammonro

Dwarf Oakleaf Hydrangeas

cammonro
16 years ago

Hi everybody,

I'm new to GardenWeb. I would be interested in any experiences with either the Sike's Dwarf or Pee Wee oakleaf hydrangeas (quercifolia). How have you fared? Do they really do well in the sun? How often do they bloom? Do they really stay compact? I've read on the web about some that break the dwarf barrier to like 6'.

I'm thinking of planting some around the front porch of our house, one on the southwest side beneath a flowering dogwood (Cornus Florida) and the other on the northwest side. Both locations get at least 6 hours of late sun in the summer.

I've been considering them because I am looking for a white flowering shrub (deciduous) that blooms through the summer and stays more or less within a height and spread of 3-4'. This seemed like the perfect fit! However, I don't want just a foliage plant since there are already green shrubs nearby (boxwoods, Alberta spruce, holly). I have had excellent experience with an Endless Summer hydrangea in the nearby vicinity that I planted in Fall 06 and it was positively stunning all summer last year.

Thanks for your thoughts!

-Eric

Comments (10)