SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
norabelle_gw

H. serratas in Wisconsin

norabelle
15 years ago

Good morning,

I have been searching GW and GW with Google, and I am coming up with "missing message" statements for many of my searches for information on H. serrata.

I am interested in the H. serratas Blue Billow, Akishino, Tiara, and Blue Deckle. The nursery I am looking at in particular is Wilkerson Mill Gardens in Georgia.

The catalog states these are hardy to zone 5, which is my zone. I have successfully overwintered Endless Summer mulching with leaves around the base; however, these are young plants (2-3 years in my yard), so their blooms have not been abundant, yet. I am concerned that the H. serrata is less hardy than the Endless Summer maccs. I am also concerned that I have not found much about serratas in zone 5, which makes me wonder if they won't make it up here.

I am also trying to access a well-beloved thread about overwintering hydrangeas by hayseedman. I can find the thread, but when I click it, I receive a "message not found" response.

Any information, suggestions, and advice (for or against the serratas) is welcome.

cheers,

Nora Belle

Comments (10)