SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jeanne_in_idaho

What tomato varieties do you grow?

Jeanne_in_Idaho
17 years ago

Here in the Northern Panhandle, with our short season and cold mountain nights, speed and cold tolerance are everything. Here's a list of what works for me:

Outdoors:

Sungold

Ida Gold

Koralik

Silvery Fir Tree

Stupice

Siberia

Glacier

Saucy

Early Cascade

In the hoophouse,

some of the above plus:

Lime Green Salad

Green Grape

Heinz something-or-other

Early Girls are too slow for me. I want a crop BEFORE the last week of August, which is when Early Girls ripen here. My climate is colder, and colder earlier, than folks in Sagle or Sandpoint, who get some warming river and lake influence on their temperatures. Microclimates are significant here. A lot of varieties that do well elsewhere never develop good flavor here - Brandywine and Fourth of July come to mind.

I don't grow any of the sweet red cherry types - I like the flavor of Sungold (an orange cherry) much better. I have 14 Sungold plants alone!. I grow Koralik, a red cherry that does very well here, just for color contrast.

Although I'd much prefer the convenience of getting tomato seedlings from the store to starting them myself, the varieties that work for me mostly aren't available at the store, so I grow them from seed.

I can whole tomatoes, tomato paste, and marinara sauce, as well as drying any excess cherry tomatoes, so 60 plants are about right for me. Oh, and I eat tons raw, mostly Sungolds, often along with a sprig of basil grown close by.

Okay, it's your turn. Where are you, and what kinds of tomatoes do you grow?

Jeanne

Comments (9)

Sponsored
WhislerHome Improvement
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Franklin County's Committed Home Improvement Professionals