SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
operaghost_gw

New to growing hydrangeas:Weak stems, bugs, or disease?

Operaghost
13 years ago

This is my first hydrangea and I'm trying to figure out what's going on with it. Planted it in October of 2010. It's a three year from HydrangeaPlus; Hydrangea Macrophylla Generale Vicomtesse DeVibraye. Most of it looks great from what I can tell, but a few of the upper stems looked pinched and started to droop. There are also some spots where the leaves looked burnt brown around the edges (I assumed this might just be from Texas sun exposure because all the burnt leaves are where the plant gets some late afternoon sun,although 90% of the plant is in full shade). I've been trying to find something that might explain why those few stems appear pinch and droop, but to no avail as of yet. Any thoughts? Could it be some disease? Or an insect? I haven't seen any bugs when I've looked, but insects are crafty buggers. Maybe I'm just over reacting? If there is an underlying problem I don't want it to get worse.

{{gwi:996546}}
{{gwi:996548}}
{{gwi:996550}}

{{gwi:996552}}
{{gwi:996554}}
{{gwi:996556}}

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I've attached some pictures to show what I'm talking about. Thanks!

Comment (1)

Sponsored
Landscape Management Group
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
High Quality Landscaping Services in Columbus