SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lavender_lass

New to forum :)

lavender_lass
14 years ago

I just read about this forum over on the vegetable garden forum. I don't know how I missed it in the list!

I'm five miles from Idaho, down by Waverly. Does anyone live in the CDA, Waverly, Plummer area? It's fun talking to people about gardening, but most people think I'm in Seattle :)

I live on the family farm and have horses, which means we have a lot of visitors on the weekends. Between the horses, barn kitties and many nieces and nephews, I try to stay with mainly non-toxic plants, with a few exceptions. I do plant tomatoes and I have a few peonies we inherited, but I don't have lily of the valley or sweet peas...especially since I showed the little ones how to eat garden peas right off the vine.

It's funny how many people think everyone in Washington state lives in Seattle. When I first joined, people kept recommending I grow azaleas and rhododendrons. Very pretty plants, but poisonous to horses and not always winter hardy in zone 4.

This will be my second year gardening and I have lots of ideas, but I'm trying to be realistic with what I can install and maintain. I'm adding a few beds at a time, mainly focusing on vegetables this year and enlarging the fairy garden for my nieces.

I would like to build a grape arbor this summer, or maybe next summer, depending on budget :) Does anyone grow grapes? Concord are wonderful, but I have too short a growing season (first frost is end of August/first of September. Does anyone grow Valiant or St. Theresa grapes? Any recommendations for a good eating grape for zone 4/5?

Comments (10)

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting