SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
njbiology

will these various natives hybridize w/these related non-natives?

njbiology
14 years ago

Hi,

In an effort to identify common foreign garden/orchard edibles that will freely hybridize their North American native counterparts(without intervention, being naturally cross-compatible), I'm posting this thread/question.

I breed native fruits for superior cultivars and do not want to risk ending up with a hybrid between native and non-native, regardless of apparent superior characteristics that might result.

1. Will native strawberries (F. vesca or F. virginiana) cross-pollinate (freely, open-pollinate) with F. ananassa or even F. moschata? I know that half of the gene-pool comprising F. ananassa is F. virginiana, but I'm not sure if this was 'forced' under controlled conditions not present under normal circumstances - just like when you force American persimmon (var. virginiana only) to hybridize with D. kaki (with much effort)?

2.Native plums (P. angustifolia; P. americana; P. maritima; P. alleghaniensis; P. pumilla var. besseyi) with European plum (P. domestica) or with the Asian plums (including P. tomentosa). Someone said the natives will not hybridize with the European species but will with (?all)Asian species.

3. The wild native mints (or plants in the mint family) with the Eurasian mint types.

4. The native garlic spp. with the Eurasian garlic spp.

5. Are there natural native crab apple x European apple hyrbids?

6. Other then the supposed Amelanchier canadensis x A. laevis alleged hybrid resulting in A. x grandifolia, will the various Amelanchier spp. hybridize with one another - i.e. A. alnifolia, A. canadensis, A. humilis, etc. with one another?

7. Will the various hickories hybridize with one another, such as pecan x shagbark x shellbark, or are these either extremely rare hybridizations or ones requiring human intervention?

8. Will the various native plums hybridize with one another? - I think several will with A. americana, but not sure if those that would will hybridize with one another.

9. Will native currants and gooseberries hybridize with their European counterparts? And will native currants/gooseberries hybridize freely among themselves?

10. Will native raspberries and blackberries from the north east hybridize with those (Rubus) from the western states? Same question for native blueberries/huckleberries from the east and western coast?

Comments (2)

Sponsored
Virginia Kitchen & Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars151 Reviews
Virginia's Award Winning One Stop Kitchen & Bath Remodeling Resource