SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
char_35

Trying to change the PH in soil

char_35
14 years ago

Several pages back someone asked whether Ammonium Sulfate has the same effect as Alumminum Sulfate. I did not see a response. I'm curious if they do the same thing.

The post, at that time, had used apparently to much and the plant died.

For those trying to change Hydranga colors,I would recommend having soils analyzed before trying to change chemicals in ground. I had my garden bed soil analyzed at Texas A&M this winter. My phosphate levels were in the high range. My plants were showing signs of Chlorosis. I added both Aluminum Sulfate and Ammonium Sulfate to the bed in slightly lesser amounts than recommended & one month apart. I took mulched leaf and pine needle clipping and applied them in a 2" layer and worked them and the Sulfates into the bed. (about 4-5" down). I've had no problems and plants are looking better.

Not sure what color my Hydranageas will be. I'll let that be a surprise!

If anyone is interested in obtaining the article from A&M on Phosphorus you can call them. (979-845-4816) To clarify, they did not recommend the phosphates I did that on my own. I realize that this is going to take a couple of years to correct.

Comment (1)

Sponsored
Wannemacher Interiors
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Customized Award-Winning Interior Design Solutions in Columbus, OH