SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
gamecock43

Hosta questions...many questions!

gamecock43
14 years ago

So I am new to gardening, (just started a few months ago when I purchased a house) but I definitely feel the *pull* towards Hosta addiction that people have described on these boards.

I have 9 Hostas! I tell myself there are no room for any more!

My question is this:

Is there REALLY all that much difference between each Hosta?

I get that there are 3 different sizes.

I get that there are solid and variegated colors.

Of the solid, there is blue, lime green, and regular green.

I get that there are 2 different vein type patterns on the leaves. (regular straight lines and that 'dappled' pattern)

And I get that the leaf shape can be different, from long and narrow, to very round.

But I just planted "patriot" next to "Albomarginata" and the two look about the same. Albomarginata is about 2 months older than Patriot- so it's much bigger- but once Patriot catches up- I doubt I will remember that the two are different.

I guess I am wondering, are most Hostas similar to one another? I get that a mini could not be similar to a giant- but since there seem to be maybe a thousand Hostas out there- are many basically splitting hairs from one to another?

Or am I going to instantly be able to identify a Hosta in someones garden, and know that plants name?

Are some Hosta "common" while others are "exotic" and "rare"? What makes the rare one hard to get?

Do big box stores only carry about 10 strains and distribute the same 10 every year...making the other 990 "rare"?

In my garden I have "Francee", "Albomarginata" "Patriot" "wide brim" and "Undulata." Are any of these more valuable or common than others?

Are Hostas regional? Do big box stores produce a certain Hosta for a certain region? Is say "patriot" sold here in GA but hard to find on the West coast for whatever reason?

Sorry for soooo many questions. I just really like the hosta, I like all the unique aspects of each plant strain- but found that I think I like similar looking Hosta to be clumped together. So I bought "Patriot" to match "Albomarginata" and looking at the two I started to wonder if there's a large enough difference between some of these strains to really warrant a whole new name. (was that just blasphemous? No offense intended!)

Comments (18)