SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jason83_gw

Plant Patents... What's the deal?

jason83
13 years ago

Hope I am posting this in the right place, but...

Today I potted a few cuttings of a Lantana plant that I bought at a local nursery. The owner told me the name of the specific variety and I asked if they were easy enough to root from cuttings and he told me that they were very easy to root.

I'm a CNA at a nursing home and the residents love it when I bring a flat of plants to them to plant in the garden, and these colorful Lantana are ideal for our hot and dry climate. Also being a college student on a budget it's always good to be able to propagate plants to fill out the yard...

... WOW! Was I wrong! I went online to find out how long it takes to get these cuttings to root and I discover that I just infringed on a patent and that it's prohibited by law??

I must confess I haven't thrown them out yet... but I don't want to be paranoid every time I hear a helicopter flying overhead!

Anyhow... what should I do?

Do I have to throw them out?

Am I the only one of the opinion that patenting a PLANT is ridiculous? Whether it be for selling at markets, or to give as gifts or even to not be able to take cuttings at ALL to put in your own yard? I didn't know this was real until today.

Thoughts anyone?

Comments (4)

Sponsored
Yellowlite
Average rating: 4.6 out of 5 stars7 Reviews
Chicago's Leading Clean Energy & Solar Panel Provider