SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lizabug1

have hydrangea that won't bloom. help please!

lizabug1
18 years ago

I have had this darn shrub going on 10 years now. I believe it was called a Nikko Blue. It was in bloom the first year I purchased it. It was in an area where it received mostly afternoon sun. It was in this spot for another three years and did not produce a single bloom. But it did grow beautiful lush green foilage. Thinking maybe that it was getting too much sun, I dug it up and placed it in an area that received filterd sun through the lilac bushes and the huge tree in my back yard. I also started to give it a bloom builder early on and low and behold it did produce one flower bloom that of course you could not see as it was at the back of the bush on a lower branch. From then on it produced nothing except beautiful green foilage. The bloom builder was still applied.

Now we are up to year 6 in this spot.

Well my next door neighbor purchased a Hydrangea about three years back and had placed it in her front yard where it receives morning sun and it does beautifully! So last year I decided to dig up my bush one last time, and placed mine also in the front yard and see what happens. So now my question to you is.......

If it fails to produce any blooms this summer should I just throw the darn thing out!

Is there such a thing as a defective Hydrangea?

Maybe Im the defective one???? Hmmm.....

Oh, and No I have not cut back the dead wood fearing I may be cutting off the current years blooms. If any body out there can give me some suggestions I will follow those instruction's to a T and give it a repreve from the garbage man for another year or two. Thanks All! ~Liz~

Comments (10)