SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
redbird_tn

Advice needed: heritage hydrangea cutting

RedBird_7a EastTN
17 years ago

I am in the zone 7a part of East Tennessee...

Back in September, my mother got 6 cuttings from my great-aunt's (7b)big blue hydrangea and brought them to me to try and root. I used the "plastic tent" /rooting hormone method and while several of the cuttings rooted initially, only *one* kept its leaves and seems to have made it.

It is in "seed starter" soil in a small clay pot. It is in a brightly lit room, but the coolest room in the house. Until now, it had been sprouting little tiny green leaves, but almost all of the leaves are starting to brown at the tips and edge. I don't know what to do!

Should I put it in the dimly lit garage or a dimly lit bedroom for now? Should I re-pot it? Should I put it in a protected area outside? Should I go ahead and plant it? (We are just starting to stay in the mid to upper 50s.)

This cutting's ancestry goes all the way back to the big blue hydrangea of my great-great grandmother, who lived in eastern North Carolina in the 1870's. So, I deeply appreciate any advice you can give me on how to save my heritage hydrangea cutting.

Sincerely,

Red Bird

Comments (2)

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting