SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
gabro14

Got my new hoyas!

gabro14
16 years ago

So I got my Asiatica hoyas on Friday - just in the nick of time! I was leaving on a flight to Florida that night, so thankfully it got here before I left. Like promised, here are the pics of my hoyas from there.

H. caudata:

H. australis ssp. oramicola:

H. australis ssp. rupicola (love these thick succulent leaves!):

Thanks for looking,

Gabi

Comments (43)

• nova12
    16 years ago

Very nice! I love that caudata, I think the leaves on it are just the coolest out there...lol. Hope you had a good time in Florida, it would be a nice change from the weather we are having. Thanks for sharing.

Isn't the australis rupicola the one that splits its leaves open as they mature?

• o7sugar
    16 years ago

Very nice Gabi!! I love the size of the australis ssp. oramicola! I don't know if you read the other post, but I was actually able to go to Logee's open house, and luckily they had subcalva in stock, so of course I got it!! They told me that they probably wouldn't be putting it in their catalog until later 2008!! When I was there I also got a nice surprise they had polyneura and macgillivrayi!! Of course I helped myself to the "mac" :):):) Whoo hooooo! When my camera comes back from being repaired, I'll share my pics. My javanica/multiflora peduncle is swelling I can actually count how many there will be now!
    -Nicole-

• Related Discussions

New Plant I Got Today (But Not A Hoya!)

Q

Comments (2)
    AEC, one of the buds opened today and it smells fantastic as ever! Too bad that you can't grow them or I'd send you cuttings when it gets a little bigger. Brad AKA Moonwolf
    ...See More

New digi camera, new pics of some of my Hoyas

Q

Comments (23)
    I lost them from neglect. I got sick and couldn't take care of them. My neighbor also cut his tree down durring that time and my plants toasted.....I was getting constant panic attacks. Even laughing would trigger one. Since then I've learned to deal and not panic :) I'm remarried and this hubby likes plants. When I can't tend to my plants he will. I have a great support system now ❤
    ...See More

I Got Two New Hoyas this Week

Q

Comments (2)
    Oh... lucky you, I wish I were as close to HD or Lowes! Can you post a photo of your finds? Thanks. Xuan (being tempted!)
    ...See More

My neighbor got a new fence and I got 6in more yard! (pics)

Q

Comments (45)
    Not to be a total curmudgeon, BUT... 1) It's not your fence. It belongs to your neighbor 100% because he paid for it. That means you can't paint it, grow anything on it, or attach anything to it. 2) You don't have 6 more inches. That belongs to him, too! It's where the posts for his fence are. The fence is built entirely on his property! This isn't like buying a new house and the fence is on the property line: he paid for it and put it on HIS property. The property line appears to be where the wall is. The property line didn't move! (And no, he didn't "abandon" the 6" on her side, he's using it for the fence foundation.)
    ...See More
  • gabro14
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks guys!

Nova, I love caudata too - it's becoming one of my faves. I actually I heard that rupicola splits its leaves open if it is overwatered. The adult one that I saw had a lot of splitting leaves, and each leaf just looked like it had exploded! So it would make sense that maybe it was overwatered.

Sugar,
    Congrats on your subcalva (and other purchases)! They told you it wouldn't be in their catalog till 2008? That's weird cause I recently got one from Logee's catalog! Congrats on your multiflora buds too :)

Gabi

• kellyknits
    16 years ago

Lovely! The one australis is big!

Oh, I'm so hoping to attend Asiatica's open house whenever that should be.

Kelly

• PRO
    Jan Sword-Rossman Realty 239-470-6061
    16 years ago

Gabi, those plants are nice size plants. Thanks for posting your photos. I ordered H. rupicola from Asiatica but I see that I have H. australis ssp. oramicola. I've ordered several plants from them awhile back, it weren't as big as yours.
    Jan

• ines_99
    16 years ago

Those ARE some nice sizes, Gabi. The australis rupicloa Sara got was about a third that size.

Kelly, where do you live that you are close enough to go to the Asiatica open house? Are you in Pennsylvania?

• shanna5
    16 years ago

Gabi -
    Nice plants. Hope you had fun in Florida...
    Shanna

• kellyknits
    16 years ago

Ines-
    I'm in Shepherdstown, WV. It's in the Eastern Panhandle of WV about an hour sort of NW of DC. According to Yahoo maps I'm about 1 hour 45 minutes from Asiatica, plus my parent's house is smack dab in between here and there!
    Kelly

• gabro14
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Hi all,

Just wanted to let you know that when looking at the labels last night, I saw that Asiatica reversed them (they labeled rupicola as oramicola, and oramicola as rupicola). So just be careful when you order. If you really want rupicola (the light green and succulent one), then you'll have to order oramicola! I tried emailing Barry from there, but he insists that they are labeled correctly. Also, I don't think their oramicola is truly oramicola - someone mentioned that it looks like australis ssp. sanae. Oramicola should be very succulent, and the dark green one pictured above has very small and thin leaves. Any opinions?

Gabi

• gabro14
    Original Author
    16 years ago

So I just wanted to add that Barry has been more than nice with this order. He is a really nice person and really cares about correct identification. He is looking into the 2 australis' to check on their identification, so we'll see what he comes up with. Also, he gave me a $25 credit (which I of course spent immediately!!), and he also sent me a bonus plant of H. lyi - yippy! The one I bought is H. erythrina 'Cameron Island' - it turns purple as it ages! They also sent the order out TODAY! I'll post pics when I get the new plants.

Gabi

• shanna5
    16 years ago

Awsome Gabi,
    Barry ssounds like he is out to please his customers. That is wonderful. Makes me want to order from them. Didn't you mention that he said they would ship in insulated boxes if necessary? I think I may go look at Asiatica's website. I'm sure there's hundreds of hoya's I want.
    shanna

• shanna5
    16 years ago

Gabi,
    Does Asiatica combine shipping for multiple plants? I looked on their website and couldn't find any specific dollar amounts for shipping. Thanks Shanna

• ines_99
    16 years ago

Gee, I bought 6 plants and didn't get a credit or a bonus plant. AND one of my plants was mislabled.

• kellyknits
    16 years ago

Hoya lyi!?!?! Are you kidding?!?! That one isn't even on their website anymore! I'm so happy for you (and jealous)!
    Wishing I had an incorrectly lablelled plant,
    Kelly

• gabro14
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Shanna,
    Yes, they give you just one shipping amount - so I'm assuming they combine shipping just like any online nursery. My first order of 3 hoyas came to $17 shipping. Not too bad. I wasn't the one that said they insulate, but I remember reading that.

Oh boy - maybe I shouldn't have mentioned the bonus plant or credit. I think he did that because I sent him 2 VERY long emails, and he probably realized that they were most likely mislabeled. Anyway, I really don't think buying 6 plants entitles anyone to a bonus plant! Either way, I'm sure it wasn't his policy - I was a first time customer that wasn't too happy, and maybe he just felt like going out of his way.

Kelly,
    Thanks for being happy for me :)

Gabi

• shanna5
    16 years ago

Gabi -
    That is pretty good shipping on 3 plants if you ask me. When I get some extra cash I will definately order from there.
    shanna

• k0okie
    16 years ago

I wish that it wasn't so rediculously expensive to order from Asiatica for me. There is like a minimum $300 or somthing plus a HUGE shipping fee. That sucks they have such nice Hoyas:(

• PRO
    Jan Sword-Rossman Realty 239-470-6061
    16 years ago

k0okie, there is no minimum order at Asiatica. SH is a bit higher then other place.
    Jan

• kellyknits
    16 years ago

Gabi-

Remembered something interesting...I fell in love with h. lyi when I first saw it on their website over a month ago. Did a search on it and found a discussion on Hoya's R Us. Christine Burton believes it's not actually h. lyi. She thinks it's actually h.sp square. So you may still have a mislabled plant! Regardless it's a cool leaf! Had it been on their site when I placed my order it'd be mine now!

Shanna-

I was the one who mentioned Asiatica will use an insulated box if deemed necessary (as told by Barry).

Kelly

• gabro14
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks Kelly. I will keep that in mind. However, I remember reading on another forum that there is indeed H. lyi in existence - but there may be a question as to whether the one sold by Asiatica is lyi or not. Either way, it's such a cool looking hoya, and not too easy to find - and it's free so I can't complain ;)

Gabi

• artur0
    16 years ago

very nice additions! are the brown pots yours or did it come in those hanging baskets. i noticed slits on the sides of the inner pots which look kinda like hydroponic net pots, would it be possible for you to post a picture of just the inner liner without the outer cache pot?

• ines_99
    16 years ago

OOOOHHHH, I get it - it was one of those "Good Lord, maybe if I send this chick a free plant she will leave me alone!!"

Rats. I guess I was too nice when I emailed him about MY mislabeled plant. A plant that NO ONE can precisely ID for me, by the way! Not only was it mislabeled, it turns out it doesn't even HAVE a name. When I realized it, I just figured anyone can make a mistake with labels, they fall out and get put back in the wrong plants, or the grower gets the wrong info from his suppliers...it just didn't occur to me to give him a hard time about it, it happens. I need some assertiveness training, I need to be more aggressive with people, I am finding it is a good way to get FREE STUFF!!!

• ines_99
    16 years ago

ps - no Gabi, I am not being a B**** - just "jerkin' your chain" I'm extremely jealous that you got a free plant and I didn't!

• gabro14
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Sure, I'll give you some assertiveness training...for a free plant :)

Arturo,
    No, they didn't come in those outer hanging pots. I put their pots inside those because they are those pots with the slits in them that you were speaking of. I'll post a pic later tonight.

Gabi

• ines_99
    16 years ago

yeah, when I emailed Barry about the mislabeled merrillii, I probably apologised to HIM for bothering him...I'm such a wimp.

I saw all the posts about the Asiatica lyi not being lyi, but it looked enough like it to me, and I like the one asiatica offers regardless.. Gabi, what was the size of the lyi you got? From what I have seen and heard from other orders of that one, they are small. I am hoping to pick out a good sized one at the open house.

• gabro14
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Not sure what size it is - it was mailed out on Tuesday and is supposed to arrive tomorrow. I will post pics of the H. lyi and the H. erythrina that I got.

Gabi

• gabro14
    Original Author
    16 years ago

By the way - just wanted to say that I don't think I was "bothering" Barry. I think he appreciated the fact that I was trying to help with labeling. I wasn't in any way trying to get free plants - I would never intentionally do that. Anyway - Jen, I'm sure you didn't mean it that way, but I wanted to make it clear that I wasn't assertive or mean in any way - I was very nice in my emails to him. I don't believe in doing things for the sole purpose of getting "free stuff"! Also, I sent Barry an email with an australis paper from Liddle and Forster (kindly sent to me by Mark Randal) AFTER he sent me the free plant - I just don't want others to get mislabeled plants.

By the way, after looking at the paper I sent him, he told me that what he has labeled as rupicola (the thin and dark green leaved one in my first post above) does not seem to be rupicola - so it's nice to see that he is making an effort at fixing the labels.

Arturo, I haven't taken a pic of the pot - but it really is the same as those hydroponic pots. If you want me to take a pic, just let me know and I will - no problem :)

Gabi

• Mentha
    16 years ago

Beautiful plants Gabi,
    I can't wait to see the other hoyas you're getting also. :)

• artur0
    16 years ago

thats fine you dont need to go through all the trouble. thanks for the offer though, i really just wanted to see what the shape of the holes were. that oramicola is a very nice size by the way. id be happy with one half that size

• ines_99
    16 years ago

Gabi, Sara on DG also ordered the "rupicola" - but I think she ordered it as oramicola...she would probably be interested in the ID problem - my DG membership is expired so I don't know if you have been discussing this there. And I know what you mean about Barry, I was just teasing you. I imagine I come across as pretty awful sometimes, and oh yes I have been told as much, but that's life. I can't expect EVERYONE to love me.

Barry is new to hoyas, only a few years he says, so he knows that he is bound to make mistakes here and there- remember all the mislabeling at Meadowbrook, and those plants supposedly came from a hoya expert. It seems alot of ID's are just a matter of opinion.

So, I gotta go, I have to email Barry and ask him where MY free plants are...(ha ha)

• shanna5
    16 years ago

Kelly,
    Ok, thanks for the correction on the insulated boxes Asiatica uses.
    Gabi - I am anticipating the pics of your new arrivals.
    shanna

• gabro14
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Jen, I did mention it on DG, so I'm sure she saw it. There are actually 2 posts that are discussing it (Carol started a new one since I was posting on the Nov. bloom post).

Arturo, here's a pic of the basket:
    {{gwi:995032}}

Ok guys - I got my hoyas! Very very small, but I'm still excited!

Here they are...

H. Erythrina 'Cameron Island' (looks like H. cinnamomifolia, doesn't it?):

And just to show how alike they look (maybe it's cause they both have 2 large leaves and nothing else!), here is my H. cinnamomifolia:

Here is H. lyi - such cute tiny leaves, but VERY hard:
    {{gwi:949863}}

And here is a close-up of one of the cute square-shaped leaves:

• shanna5
    16 years ago

Gabi -
    Nice plants and again great vivid pics. I like the leaves on your hoya lyi, hadn't seen/herd that one before this pic and talk here on GW.
    shanna

• kellyknits
    16 years ago

Oh....I love the little lyi. One good thing is if we all make it to Asiatica's open house you'll be one less person I'll have to knock down to get to this one. Watch out, Ines!

Kelly

• shanna5
    16 years ago

Kelly
    Where is Asiatica's located?
    thanks shanna

• o7sugar
    16 years ago

I too must admit I've never heard or seen 'lyi' before, but I definately like the different foliage.
    Gabi - I have to agree that your cinnamomifolia and and erythrina look very similar. I don't know how well I can tell from the pics, but to me it looks like cinnamomifolia has slightly more raised veins towards the middle and a lighter color green than the rest of the leaf. Only an observation though so the flowers will really tell!
    Nice plants as usual though :)
    -Nicole-

• gabro14
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Nicole,
    Yes, you are right with your observations. I wasn't saying that the erythrina is cinnamomifolia...I just think they look so much alike. And it's funny how they both have 2 leaves and the same kind of growth (one big and one small leaf!).

As for H. lyi, who knows if it's H. lyi or H. sp. 'Square' - either way, I just love it!! I've marked it down as H. sp. 'Square' (as suggested by a very knowledgable person), but only time (and blooms!) will tell.

Gabi

• artur0
    16 years ago

thank you for taking the time to post the picture.

• ines_99
    16 years ago

Don't worry Kelly, I have been hoya shopping with Gabi and still managed to walk away with 2 plants - as compared to her 6 - or was it 7? Maybe 10? I couldn't keep track, she is insatiable.

I would imagine that Asiatica has alot of each variety anyway, but if you want to make sure you will get a certain one, you could try emailing him and asking him to put one aside for you. He would probably do it.

• gabro14
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Haha - I only got 4 plants, and if it wasn't for YOU I would've only bought the 3 small pots! But I can't thank you enough for talking me into that huge serpens - I still don't know what I was thinking when I almost passed it up!
    Can you imagine how many I would've walked away with if he let us have some of those stock plants?!

Arturo,
    No problem :)

Gabi

• epiforums
    16 years ago

Here is a photo comparison of my cinnamomifolia and erythrina foliage for another reference. Erythrina is thinner (almost feels paper thin) than cinnamomifola (slightly fleshier). The veins in cinnamomifolia appear lighter than the leaf whereas the veins on erythrina are darker. Of course these are under my conditions and may be slightly different in yours. As you can see, the leaves are pretty large in size.

{{gwi:995037}}

Gabi,
    Quite interesting to see they were grown in orchid pots. I thought I was the only one who used coco chunks in my hoya soil. So while you and Sam are twanging away at Guitar Hero, I'll be loading up the get-away vehicle with pots of green goodies. :P

Eddie

• kellyknits
    16 years ago

I can't even fathom having the option of buying so many different hoya in person! Ines, thanks for the suggestion of asking Barry to hold a H. Lyi. I just may do that!

Glad to know I stand a shot at getting a few of the 150 plus varieties Asiatica sells! (BTW- they had 162 varieties when I placed my order and are now down to 159....keep wondering which plants sold out...)

Any idea of when the next open house will be?

• gabro14
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Nice comparison shot, Eddie - and my, what big leaves you have ;)

Oh no no no - there will be no greenery theft at my pad! I now frisk crazy hoya people before they leave my place. Well, you're the only one that fits into that category, so expect to be padded down and then beaten with my Guitar Hero remote if anything is found...hehe.

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH