SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bkay2000

Hosta labels and growers - more abt. HVX

bkay2000
12 years ago

Sandy said we should not buy hosta originating from Greenleaf nurseries. I'm wondering how we can tell where they originate? Of course, Monrovia's plants are obvious, as they use labeled pots. I know of no other nursery that does. I went out and pulled some labels from hosta that still had the original tags in them. Nothing indicates the grower.

Aa for Lowe's, they buy from growers all over the country. Each Lowe's get Hosta from more than one supplier. Lowe's in the same area buy from different suppliers. However, each garden center has the grower information available. You just have to ask.

I spoke with a local grower who is a supplier to, probably, the premier garden center in the area, Northhaven Gardens. (They also buy from more than one grower). According to their sales dept., they use more than one kind of label. On a patented plant, they have to use a certain label. They buy "generic" labels that have a photo that shows the picture and gives some growing information. Those labels are available wholesale and are available to all growers. On occasion, they print their own labels when they don't have one for some reason or another.

Below are some labels from my hosta. How would I know who the grower is?

bkay

{{gwi:999422}}

The Lowe's labels are obvious. However, all their growers use the same labels. The Brumley Gardens label is what I assume is the generic label. The "plugs" came from Walter's according to the owner. The printed label came from Northhaven.

The reverse give no grower info either.

{{gwi:999423}}

Below are some labels from hosta growers. Ther's nothing that really distinguishes them, as they are generic labels.

{{gwi:999424}}

The reverse

{{gwi:999425}}

Comments (4)