SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
callieandkarin

Hummingbird feeding dilemma

callieandkarin
16 years ago

This summer I rented a house in the woods in upstate NY and had my first experience with hummers. I put up a feeder in July, and, as to be expected, a male hummer took "possession" of it. For the last five weeks or so, he has become a fixture for most of the day sitting in the pine tree guarding the feeder and periodically taking sips. I must say, I can't believe how attached I've gotten to him. He is fascinating to watch, and I've enjoyed reading the hummer stories on this board. In short, I'm in love. :)

Anyway, my dilemma is this. My rental expires this weekend, which means I will have to take down the feeder. Since he has been relying so heavily on it, I am concerned that he may be losing his main food source right before he needs it the most at migration! I feel almost a little selfish continuing to feed him when I know it will come to an abrupt end on Monday. Am I being oversensitive and naive to think he won't be able to quickly adjust? Any suggestions on how to make it easier for him? Thanks.

Comments (2)

Sponsored
More Discussions