SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
2ajsmama

Frozen food after power outage

2ajsmama
12 years ago

I have an 8 cf chest freezer in the basement, lots of big hunks of meat (whole turkey, chicken, roasts) and some vaccuum-sealed packages. Power went out 6 pm Sat and restored 1:30pm yesterday, but we ran a generator for 1.5 hrs on Tues and another 1.5hrs on Wed. I checked the freezer before we ran the generator each day - don't have a thermometer but the pork roasts on top (wrapped in butcher paper) seemed frozen solid (no give), same with the vaccuum-sealed beef. Berries and bread products on top were thawed (but berries had ice crystals), Steam Bag veggies were soft but some hard ice crystals. Freezer had frost on the inside walls, no condensation on the outside and no water coming from the drain plug, no frozen puddles in the bottom inside, and packages of chicken (original store Styrofoam packages) not stuck together, so I don't think anything but fruits and veggies thawed out.

Is the meat safe to store and use within the next month? What about the vegetables? Emergency management guide says OK as long as temp didn't exceed 41 F for more than 2 hrs (supposed to open the freezer and measure every 2 hrs) it's OK. Our house was 45 for most of the week, the basement was probably less.

Comments (11)

Sponsored
Remodel Repair Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Westerville