SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_19735161

To Mairzy: Continued from 'Hoya Happenings'

User
17 years ago

Hi again Mairzy,

In answer to yr. question & comment at 'Hoya Happenings' thread at H Gallery:

JH is a San Diegan, mutual friend of Cena & myself, big C&S collector. He's got all his stuff planted out & he's moving out of the area, so it's a significant thing, 'cause from what I hear, he's digging it all up to give away/sell much of his collection (which was not a small one to start). Knowledgeable, generous & excellent grower of many C&S, who 'til recently was a big contributor for 5 yrs. or so to C&S Forum. You did ask ;>)

As to yr. comment abt H Montana, hum ... will have to check -- glabrous means hairy, fuzzy, right? This FLA man had great plants but very diff. IDs than "we" know, like abt H tsangii (aka DS- ___?) which he called something else, & the plant at the top of H Gallery w/ the ID inquiry from Singapore. I saw that plant w/ it's odd red bloom & knew it was some Dischidia, yet this FLA guy insisted it was H shepardhii (cannnot be as the bloom is ALL wrong for Hoya & right for Dischidia).

Gorgeous & healthy plants, almost all grown outdoors in a couple shade houses (made of lathe), fair number of things in bloom. He says he's got over 100 species (I didn't see that many), seems to be acquaintained w/ all the 'name' Hoya folks, & seems to feel Ted Green is the naming authority to follow.

While I really liked his plants & they all shipped fabulously, I came home much more confused abt Hoya names (& that's for the common stuff) than I was before.

Interestingly, this man (Jim) maintains that for blooming Hoyas, it's not abt their being a certain age, but rather abt really letting them dry well btwn waterings. So, I am experimenting w/ this now, haven't watered my Hoyas at all since Sept 19 or 20, intend to do it tonite. Am wondering/hoping it might kick their little butts into bloom.

I decided to try this as 2 NYC friends & plant mentors of mine have both recently said the same thing. One abt H nummularioides & the other abt a no ID that's something like H Meredithii v Crassata (aka Vitellinoides?) that I helped ID for her & just had its first bloom. (She's working on a cutting for me, so we'll see, it'll be my 2nd of this as I lost cutting of same a yr. ago.) Anyway, they both said that having forgotten to water &/or been away & let their Hoyas go unwatered for some time, that's when they kicked into bloom.

Anyway, bye for now, thanks for the ID note.

Comments (3)

Sponsored