SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
paisley_tx

What am I doing wrong? (sugar water)

paisley_tx
18 years ago

Hi everyone! :-) I'm wondering what I might be doing wrong. The sugar water I'm putting out seems to be getting moldy awfully fast - alot more than it ever has before.

Here's some info for those interested. Four days ago I made up fresh sugar water (4:1 ratio with pure cane sugar). I boiled the water and then added the sugar. Let it set for 2 hours to cool and then put in the frig. That day I also soaked both of my feeders in boiling water and white vinegar in the sink and then rinsed and rinsed and rinsed and then dried them and put them back out.

I've been changing out the sugar water every 2 days lately because they seem to be getting moldier faster. The problem this time, which is why I'm wondering what I may be doing wrong is, I just changed out the sugar water yesterday and one of the feeders (the one out in the sun) is already getting little white floaty things today.

Our weather hasn't been all that awful, it's been alot worse than it's been lately. Yesterday our high was around 94 and today 91 so far. We were a little more humid yesterday (70%) and 53% humidity today.

Does anyone have any thoughts? Think it has to do with the humidity? Should I bleach clean (instead of vinegar) the feeders? Do any of y'all have to change your's out everyday?

I live just north of Dallas. Thanks in advance! :-)

Comments (23)

Sponsored
More Discussions