SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ines_99

gse?

17 years ago

Insecticidal soap, which is safe and extremely easy to find, works well too.

I won't bother with GSE - I listened to all the hype about that other one, the name of it was...um...oh yeah- NEEM oil. I bought it, it didn't do half of what it said on the label and had a horrible smell. And it wasn't cheap either.

The best way to keep your plants bug free is vigilance.

Comments (12)

• 17 years ago

hmmm...this was supposed to be in the "arrgh...bugs on my hoyas" thread....I don't know what happened but it looks like I started another thread, not meaning to...sorry guys.

• 17 years ago

Ines,

Let me just mention a few reasons that I use GSE. It's anti-fungal, anti-bacterial, insecticidal, oderless, residue free, safe for pets and people and inexpensive.

I've had my bottle (2 oz.) for 6 years and (I paid $ 30.00 for it) I do need to buy a new bottle here very soon and I will. I think $5 bucks a year is a small price to pay for bug/fungus free plants. I only use it to prevent outbreaks and I haven't used it to save an already infected plant. I do soak any cuttings that I may receive in a GSE and water soluton for an hour or so but that's just to be on the safe side.

Just some food for thought;-)
    Diane

It's NOT tasteless!!!YUCK! You couldn't pay me enough to take the stuff orally! (and I've tried!)

• 17 years ago

Whoa! I just found this forum. What is GSE? And where do you get it? So far I don't need it but with 15 plants (most of them different varieties) I will sooner or later.

• 17 years ago

Grape seed extract (Diane, can you put the link to it in again - I need it, too...) I read up about it and plan to get some. Diane, do yo just mix it in a spray bottle (and how many drops in a 1 qt. bottle?) and spray it at bugs like alcohol? I could use a little detail on this myself.

Denise in Omaha

• 17 years ago

Hi Denise,

If Diane doesn't get back here fast enough for yr. needs, I believe the link is still up in the other thread (something abt Bugs, Ugh), the one in which I . . . let's say, temporarily lost my cool.

Karen

• 17 years ago

I put 2 or 3 drops in a 2 cup sprayer and 1 drop of dish soap and mist as usual. As I said before, I don't use it to get rid of bugs, just to prevent infestations. It works just fine for what I use it for,(touch wood) but others do use it stronger to fight them little nasties!

If I get that fuzzy fungus growing on the soil I'll add 3 or 4 drops to the watering water. Fuzz goes away quickly.

Also great for washing veggies from the store. Takes off all that waxy stuff they put on to make everything shiny and is suppose to leach out the chemicals they use to keep things fresh.

A million and one uses in one little bottle:-)
    Diane

Here is a link that might be useful: GSE

• 17 years ago

Okay, so we are talking about Grape FRUIT seed extract? Or Grape Seed?

My healthfood store sells Both.

• 17 years ago

Hi all,

we are talking about Grapefruit Seed Extract. It can be used to treat humans, animals, plants and your household.

It is not like grapefruit itself -- it's safe to use when taking antibiotics and other medications, unlike grapefruit.

I don't use chemicals in my home because they make me very ill, so 35 drops of GSE go into an Amway spray bottle, then it's filled with bottled water. It can be used in place of anti-grease stove-top cleaner, refrigerator cleaner, microwave cleaner, bleach (let it SIT on the surface for 90 minutes for it to disinfect), glass cleaner, etc.
    SHAKE IT carefully each time you use it, and while using it as the GSE settles to the bottom.

You can brush your teeth with it, wash your face with it, put a drop or two in your drinking water, and put a few drops into a veggie cap for intestinal health. It can help dissolve warts, kills skin fungus, helps control dandruff.

I used it when I was inundated with black mold -- in my ears, up the nostrils (a VERY dilute form), and drinking increasing drops from one to 10 over a period of 3 weeks. You have to gradually increase or it will kill everything in the gut all at once, and the die-off will make you wish you were dead.

Don't get it in eyes or directly on mucus membranes in pure form. It is very concentrated. The best stuff is at liquid gold.com - concentrated, unlike the health food store kind.

You know the vegetable spray that was introduced a few years ago? That is mostly water and GSE.

If you order it from Liquid Gold.com you will receive sheets describing 171 uses and how to formulate it for each use.

I swear by it and so do many of my friends.

:)
    pb

• 17 years ago

I just ordered some. But I want to add that according to their website, it MAY interfere with medications as grapefruit does. I suppose it may be like a disclaimer in case someone would experience that effect, but I probably wouldn't take the chance if I were on a beta blocker or other med that can be interefered with.

Denise in Omaha

• 17 years ago

:-)

When you get it at home put one or two drops on a glass of water and have a sip! BLAHH Yuck! (Assuming you aren't on meds that warn about grapefruit) The taste is so aweful that I can't understand why anyone would WANT to ingest it!!?? (Although I know it's good for a person.)

I'll stick to washing veggies and spraying my plants with it! I have a slight skin alergy to citrus so I can't use it externally much either.

Let us know what you think after you've tried it awhile!
    Diane

• 17 years ago

doctors at John's Hopkins indicated that GSE does not affect medications the way the fruit of grapefruit does. They are entirely different substances.

I imagine it is a disclaimer - it didn't used to be on the website or in their literature.

:)

• 17 years ago

First off, to the poster of the original link, thanks for all the info, interesting & helpful, am most tempted to try it.

I read some at both places & w/ particular interest abt the interaction w/ meds as I take Lipitor (one of the statins, the use of which forbids eating or drinking anything grapefruit).

From the FAQs at Nutriteam.com:

"Q. I'm taking medication for high blood-pressure. Will GSE interfere?

A. We have no reports of any drug interactions or contraindications of any kind. There IS a danger in drinking fresh grapefruit juice or eating grapefruits when taking certain medications (consult your doctor). Grapefruit extract contains 0.1% or less of the compounds that increase absorption of certain medications. Consult your physician."

I'm going to speak to my health food store abt it & also my doctors, but I am inclined to trust it, simply becuse is mostly from the pit, rather than the fruits.

I'm also cognizant of the fact that high blood pressure meds & statins are completely different classes of drugs.

Anyway, Diane, thanks so very much for the link!

Sponsored
Columbus Premier Design-Build and General Contractor