SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kristin_williams_gw

So, what's working, and what isn't?

kristin_williams
17 years ago

This spring, I expanded my garden, and planted a lot of new flowers in the hopes of attracting more hummingbirds. It's working, somewhat, but they still are addicted to the feeders. I'm starting to see what I think are young birds, and they are fun to watch as they explore everything. They seem more inclined to use natural flowers than the adults, who seem to fall into behavioral patterns of hitting a particular feeder, ignoring the flowers, then zipping off to parts unknown. Certain adults often seem to follow the same flight paths.

Anyway, I thought I'd list the flowers that have definitely been visited, and also list the ones that I thought would work, but don't seem to be getting any action. I have other flowers that I won't mention, because I don't think they are known to be attractive to hummingbirds.

THESE ARE GETTING(OR GOT)VISITED:

Bleeding Hearts--Not sure of genus and species, probably just the common one.

Native columbine--Aquilegia canadensis

Scarlet Sage--Salvia coccinea

Bee Balm--Monarda didyma "Gardenview Scarlet" with bad case of mildew

Fuchsia "Billy Green" I'm not sure if they're exploring or actually feeding

Trumpet Vine--Campsis radicans var. "flava"

I must say, the Bee Balm is probably their favorite, with trumpet vine second. I haven't gotten a clear look at the Fuchsia, but I'm pretty sure they're using it. These three flowers are getting visited, even when the feeders are up. As far as I know, the others were visited only when the feeders were inside for cleaning. Of course, I can't be sure I'm not missing visits, but I'm a pretty patient observer, and this is what I've observed.

THESE DO NOT SEEM TO BE GETTING VISITED:

Petunias--bright red ones

Verbenas--annual ones, red with white centers

Verbenas--perennial ones "Homestead Purple"

Lobelia speciosa "Fan blue"

Zinnias--Pom pom ones and cactus-flowered ones

Snapdragons--Mixed colors in planters, traditional shaped blooms

Impatiens--shades of red, magenta, and pink. Don't know species, but they're the regular annuals you see everywhere, not the New Guinea ones

Oriental Lilies--Lilium

Daylilies--Hemerocallis--Orange wild-looking ones

Agastache "Pink Panther," and "Big Bazooka"

Cypress Vine--Ipomoea (?)

I must say, I really thought I'd see them at the Impatiens and also the Agastache, but if they're visiting, I've been missing it. The Cypress Vine so far has had only a few blooms at a time, so maybe it's just not a sufficient draw. In the past, I saw hummingbirds exploring my "Casa Blanca" lilies, but so far haven't seen any action at my pale yellow ones.

TOO SOON TO SAY, HAVEN'T BLOOMED YET:

Hardy Hibiscus "Fireball"

Cardinal Flower-Lobelia cardinalis

Cardinal Climber--Ipomoea x multifida

I have high hopes for these, but will just have to wait and see. All are showing signs that they will soon be blooming.

Can anyone else share their experiences?

Comments (17)

Sponsored
More Discussions