SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
swct_gw

I held a humminbird today!

swct
15 years ago

This morning while I was watering plants on our patio, I noticed a male ruby thoat lying still on our steps near a french door. He had obviously flown into the glass and was stunned. I immediately picked him up and saw no apparent injuries. He was breathing and blinking but lying in my hand perfectly still. I called to my kids to come see, and we had 5 minutes of observing up-close the most a shockingly beautiful bird - bright flourescent red gorget and emerald back and wings. I walked it over to our feeder and inserted his beak into a port for a few sips. (interesting side note - the end of this bird's tongue was always slightly protruding from the beak. Is this normal?) The sip of sugar water seemed to help as he soon fluttered from my hand up to a branch a few feet away and rested there for about 15 minutes. When I went outside to check on him, he zoomed across the yard like a flash.

I can't stop thinking about this incredible experience and thought I'd share. A truly amazing encounter -- now if I could only remember to take a photo!!!

Comments (10)

Sponsored
More Discussions