SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
skydiver_blueskies

do they exist?

skydiver-blueskies
15 years ago

I've only seen one hummer - 2 years ago - flying around my fake fushia - (it's been replaced with a real one now). Since then I've been hooked at attracting these beautiful creatures. I put a feeder out this year and have changed the homemade solution at least twice a week since 5/1 - no response - nadda! I'm trying to make my yard hummer friendly - petunia's, million bells, foxglove, a ton of bee balm, major wheeler honeysuckle (on it's way), cigar plants, perennial salvia's and the annual nico-something (red) and butterfly bush! Still nothing. Is it the weather? - it's been so bad here. We have a pair of cardinals, a pair of yellow finches (which seemed to have dissapeared lately) and of course robins, that took over the weeping pussy willow tree that the finches used to use. My husband says hummers don't come here - I have to prove him wrong. If I get hummers on there way back south this fall will they return next spring? Is this something that I have to build on (garden wise) and hope that if I see one hummer this fall, that I should expect maybe 5 next fall and so on and so on? Will the honeysuckle attract their attention? I need help from someone in my area. I want to be the envy of the neighborhood. Let me tell you since I've been looking at plants that attract hummers - I see that my neighborhood is baron - except for the salvia's. What am I missing besides hanging 50 red bandana's around my yard?

Comments (3)

Sponsored
More Discussions