SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kristin_williams_gw

The long wait is over!

kristin_williams
17 years ago

Just got my first hummingbird today! I have been hummingbirdless for almost 8 months, and was really starting to wonder if they were going to torture me by waiting for the trumpet vine to bloom before returning. I'm so glad I didn't have to wait that long, since that darn thing doesn't bloom until July or August.

Anyway, I had just pulled into the driveway of my mom's house, and saw that unmistakable hummingbird-like motion out of the corner of my eye. It was overcast and raining lightly, but the little fellow whizzed down to my Bleeding Hearts and dipped his bill in briefly, hovered to show his gorgeous glittering throat, then zoomed off! Even on such a dreary day, he was still quite a splendid sight.

As I sat, transfixed in the car, I could've screamed when I realized that I had taken my feeder in for cleaning before leaving on errands, got interrupted by a phone call, and had then forgotten to put it out again. Except for brief cleanings, that feeder has been outside continuously for the past month. Wouldn't you know that when the little guy showed up, the feeder wouldn't be there. Aaargh!

It didn't look like he got much out of the Bleeding Hearts, but I have some other things in bloom that I hope will pull him back, plus that feeder is going back out as soon as I can boil up some more sugar water.

His other choices for food besides the Bleeding Heart are some magenta and pink Impatiens, and some deep magenta Dianthus chinensis. I've tested both for nectar and they're full of it. I've also got red petunias, and red Verbenas, but I don't know if they have much nectar. My snapdragons and Geranium (Pelargonium) have zilch. Some of my late miniature daffodils seem to be full of nectar, but I don't know if he'll use them or not.

As soon as I get that feeder out, I'm going to go back outside, sit in the car, and watch for him. I can see the whole garden when I sit there in the driver's seat, plus I won't get wet while I watch! I figure it's getting late in the day, so he's going to need to fuel up for the 45 degree night ahead. This should be a good time to see him.

Comments (24)

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting
More Discussions