SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mdahms1979

Hoya societies and their publications

mdahms1979
16 years ago

I am considering joining one of the hoya societies so that I will be able to gather more information on Hoya species. After looking at the books that are available on Hoyas and reading what others thought about them I think that it would be best to skip the books and instead become a member of a Hoya society and collect as many of their newsletters and publications as possible.

Does anyone belong to the International Hoya Society and receive the publication Fraternia? What do you think about membership in the society and the material in Fraternia?

Does anyone belong to any other Hoya societies? What society publishes the Hoyan and would anyone recommend this society and it's publication.

Comments (18)

• ines_99
    16 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

I think that the Hoyan is published by the International Hoya Society. I am not a member of any of these groups and don't really know anyone that is, so I have no opinions. From my experiences joining artist's societies, I know that they are all different, but that the majority of the time it seemed like you pay a membership fee and get a newsletter a few times a year for it...and that's about it. No information that you couldn't get without joining. Since my main reason to join would be for learning and networking/meeting people, I don't see much point becuase I am already doing that online. If I were a grower, I may be more likely to join, mainly to get my name out there and get business for myself.

But, I am interested to hear of everyone else's experience and what else these groups have to offer.

• Denise
    16 years ago

I'm not a member of the Hoya Society, but I've been a member of the C&S Society and Asclepiad (which does encompass Hoyas, Stapeliads, Ceropegias...) and I find the publications to be VERY technical. I'm no dummy when it comes to the plant world vernacular, but I like my information in simple, easy-to-understand language and I don't find these publications at all easy to read. I wish they all took the aproach of the Amateur's Digest, a C&S publication I have renewed for more years than I can remember.

Denise in Omaha

• Related Discussions

Rockford IL: Lily Society presentation at Klehm Arboretum

Q

Comments (2)
    Next time, kindly don't post a reply until the event is over. That will leave it at the top, until after the presentation. If it's buried interested potential attendees will not see it.
    ...See More

Good news from the Swedish Hoya Society

Q

Comments (6)
    The latest issue is just as great as all of them have been. I love this publication, as it's informative, has very helpful advice and beautiful photography. The only downside is that each issue I see at least one hoya that I simply "cannot live without"!! BTW, there are only 80 subscribers to the English version, and they wanted to reach a hundred to continue to publish in English...it appears that they're going to continue even though they fell short of their goal. I encourage anyone who loves hoyas to subscribe...I find each issue valuable and read each one a dozen times...maybe more! Fondly, Patrick
    ...See More

Semi-OT: Your Favorite non-Hoya (& It's Hoya Equivalent)

Q

Comments (22)
    Kelly/Pug: The E.millii in the pic is a hand me down from my mom. I received it about 3 years ago. It was getting too big for her to move it around and too tall for most of her sunny spots in her house. She gave me a cutting which I have grown to about 18 inches and also coaxed it into branching. It is also known as Crown of Thorns or Christ Rose. Some believe this is what could of been used as the "Crown of thorns". This plant is native to Madagascar as was imported to the Middle East a very long time ago. They thrive in Thailand and many hybrids have been developed there. Some of the hybrids have more flower than leaves. The flowers are truly cyanthia and are a little tacky/sticky(I do not know what purpose in nature, maybe help in pollination). I have 19 varieties at this time. The first one is a group photo. Hard to see the details. The other 3 are my newest COT additions. One of the actually has reddish green leaves. And E.millii siegfriedii which is one of my older cot that has leaves which are completely red on the bottom and green on the top of the leave. My large one is most likely a E.millii splendens. Denise from Omaha grows a lot of these as well and I am pretty sure has a blog setup where she mentions these plants. Out of Africa is a good place to find some of the cot varieties. I am currently on the look out for a variegated COT. There is a cultivar named 'Fireworks' which is currently for sale on ebay that I may pick up. I think I will start a mini lemon tree too. When i go south for vacation the end of next month I will be sure to pick up something that I do not see around here often. All this talk is making me want to visit a nursery. Also one of my favorite plants Dorstenia Lavrani. Their is a male and a female form. The female form with age looks similar to a mini grove of palms. This plant is super easy to grow and care for. The flowers look like mini stars that explode to eject their seeds. -David
    ...See More

Bob Solberg to Speak to Iowa Hosta Societies

Q

Comments (9)
    Bob Solberg will also be speaking on Friday, October 3 at 7:00 p.m. at the Scott County Extension Service in Bettendorf, IA. The Mississippi Valley Hosta Society is hosting this well known speaker. Garden enthusiast are welcome to attend free of charge.
    ...See More
  • epiforums
    16 years ago

Mikedeahms,

The only remaining hoya organization here in the US is the International Hoya Association (not Society). They have a spectacular quarterly digest that covers hoyas from both a technical and non technical perspective. I have every issue put out til 2006 and I must say it is very enjoyable. They are run by a wonderful group of people, of whom a few, I consider friends (hello Chuck and Jerry). I think I have some extra copies around of various issues lying around somewhere.

That other newsletter, The Hoyan, which I don't think is in print format anymore, is not by the IHA, although the lady behind it was once the president. She is still publishing newsletters in an online format, which you can find online. I have most of the older volumes in the 1990s, but have found it too opinionated and angry for my tastes.

I will have to agree with Denise that sometimes the CSSA has articles catered to the more technical, which if you are serious about something, should be right up your alley. It's certainly a professional publication, on nice shiny paper, with gorgeous photos.

Overseas, you have other hoya societies like the Swedish Hoya Society (huge!!!), but the newsletters are not in English. I do recommend Asklepios by the International Asclepiad Society. They cover more than just hoyas. The newsletter is in English and really does a great job of reporting.

If you like digital newsletters, certainly sign up for Stemma, by Mark Randal. It's free too. contact me via e-mail for details and back issues.

As Denise mentioned, The Amateur's Digest is another publication, which has been around for a while, but I'm not sure how much hoya coverage is in there.

-Eddie

• mdahms1979
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Eddie
    Thanks for clearing that up for me. I had run across the on line Hoyan papers and found them to be very interesting but as you mentioned much time is spent attempting to discredit others and although I would like to be reading up to date valid information the tone of the publication does begin to weigh on you after a while.

So far I only have one book on the subject The Illustrated Handbook of Succulent Plants: Asclepidaceae. Although this book is a great reference and helps in identifying unknown species it is rather lacking in other information specifically related to the habit of the plants and the habitat they are found in. Maybe I am just too used to reading family or genus specific books on orchids and am a little spoiled in that regard.

I am currently a member of the international Asclepiad Society and by the looks of it soon will be a member of the International Hoya Asscoiation as well. I will also take a look at the on line digital newsletter that you mentioned. I guess I am in search of articles on specific species, where they were encountered and collected and a discussion on their habits and interesting traits. I am relatively new to Hoyas but I just have not been impressed with the information available on the genus. Most of the information on the web seems to be geared towards their culture and identification but with little discussion on the role that these plants play in nature and their interesting characteristics or adaptations. I was about to order The World Of Hoyas: A Pictorial Guide until I read that much of the information is invalid in several of the on-line Hoyan rants, the authors comments have made me leery of buying any of the material authored by Mr. D. Kloppenburg. If you own any of Mr. Kloppenburg's books and find them to be worth purchasing please let me know.

Thanks to everyone who has responded.

Mike

• kazzy33
    16 years ago

Hi Mike,
    I have the book "The World Of Hoyas A Book Of Pictures". BY Dale Kloppenburg with Ann Wayman.

I think it is a fantastic book although it does not have every Hoya known to man in it but does have information on lots and lots and lots of Hoyas (well over 100 maybe 200) it has where they come from and what year they were founded.The pictures are beautiful and I could not do without this book,I use it for a reference nearly every day.Anyone that is Hoya crazy like myself would really appreciate this book..Hope this helps Regards Karen (Australia)...

• ines_99
    16 years ago

Karen- I have heard about this book, alot of good and some bad...you say you use it for reference - do you mean for ID'ing of does it have growing tips etc...what kind of information does it give you besides history? Is it hardback? Where did you get it and how much was it? I look at Barnes and Noble all the time, they have maybe 3 books on general houseplants (too general), maybe another three on cacti/succulents, 15 on orchids, and about 65 on growing marijuana. Ok, I am exaggerating, maybe 20 on growing marijuana. Enough to be ridiculous. Still, every time I go in, I look. I don't know why, nothing ever changes.

Do you havethe publishers name for the hoya book? Maybe I could order it at my local Barnes and Noble.

• Denise
    16 years ago

Karen,

This must be the book I was on the list to get - didn't it come out late last year (if I remember correctly...)? I didn't get a chance to get my copy as we had a few months of crisis at our house and it became a non-priority. Now I'm not sure where I could get it. Hope you can tell us how to get hold of a copy...

Denise in Omaha

• kazzy33
    16 years ago

Hi,

ines...I use the book for IDing mostly but it does not have every Hoya in it ( about 100 species) so I am after another book myself that would have nearly all Hoyas that exsist (I hope there is one) and it does give a little bit about caring for them but not that much mostly it has where the Hoya species are found, Also it has
    Propagation from stem cuttings,
    Growing from leaves,
    Growing from seeds.
    Fertilizer & Fertility.
    Pots & Potting.
    Diseases of Hoyas & insects and other pests.
    There also is a section on cross section of the Hoya flower.
    Corona of the Hoya flower.
    Grafting Hoyas.

The publisher is Hill-n-Dale Publishing" Fresno,California,USA

Copyright "The World of Hoyas",A revised version February 2007 by "Orca Publishing Company" Central Point,Oregon.

It is a soft cover book too.

I do hope this helps you,and please if you need to know anything else about the book don't hesitate to ask..
    Kind Regards Karen...

• ines_99
    16 years ago

That sounds like good information, knowing where the plants are found in the wild can tell you a few things about caring for them! Generally, they all respond well in my house to the same treatment. The book sounds like it is worth having, and being fairly new, it must still be available somewhere.

I think Chris Burton has been writing a book for a while, I would imagine it will be a good one, but I have no idea when or if it will be completed.

• mairzy_dotes
    16 years ago

I'm an impatient person! I can't wait for information that will or may come out in the future. I have to have instant reading NOW. Ha Ha.
    Therefore I have 3 of the books that Dale Kloppenburg & Ann Wayman put out. The first one I got was "The Hoya Handbook". It is a hardcover book with 108 pages of text and another 25 of pictures. It's pictures are mostly of the flowers, (like many websites) for ID purposes. However, they are good large pics in full color and I love looking at them.Then I also got "The World of Hoyas A Pictorial Guide" by Dale Kloppenburg (published in 1999). it comes in a large "3-Ring notebook" style, and is 237 pages. Almost every page has a large picture opposite it of the plant being described. The pictures are put together with a small inset of the flower in color and then what looks like he took a section of the plant and layed it down on a copy machine & made a copy as it is the actual plant in black & white. Ha. It makes it easy to see the size of the leaf, but it would have been better in color (altho there are a few color pics of the leaves too here & there. Some of the smaller insets have a piece of leaf or so in them too so you can see that.
    There is another (updated) version of this book that I didn't bother to get. Then last year they come out with: the book I believe Karen is referring to, "The World Of Hoyas A Book Of Pictures" (both Dale and Ann are listed as authors again). This is a large softcover book with 248 pages FILLED with color pictures. From page 45 on there is a WHOLE page filled with a color picture opposite the description of the plant.(In fact, several of MY pictures of my H. pubicalyx and my H. australis made it into the book. :-))
    Any of these books I'm sure could be obtained by writing to Ann Wayman in Central Point Oregon. (email me privately for her info. I don't want to publish it here.)
    She is a sweetheart of a lady and I admire the work she and Dale put into getting these books out.
    I would like to add that NONE of these books are without fault. Anyone could sit and pick apart this or that is not satisfactory or incorrect (in their opinion) info on some plant, but HEY....lots of books are not all perfect about every detail. That doesn't mean the book can't be enjoyed and just taken for what it is trying to put forth. There IS a lot that can be learned from these books. It seems the world of plants in general is ALWAYS in conflict on nomenclature and correct Ids, ect. so I just say, ENJOY it for what it is and do your own extensive research for anything you question. I might add that the first 2 books mentioned have a "critique" written about them by CB in which she details all the info that she feels is incorrect. These can be obtained for a small fee in CD form by writing to her for it.
    I myself just like to have ANY books on any subject I am so into as I am hoyas, and finding written info AND PICTURES on them outside the WWW is practically impossible. So I for one appreciate having these books to look at.
    OK...I'm done.
    Marcy

• mdahms1979
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks for the info on the various Hoya books that are available. I know that I will eventually get one but I had been waiting until I could get the opinions of fellow Hoya growers before making my decision.

Rainbow Gardens Bookstore has all of the titles mentioned plus several more if anyone can't find them elsewhere.

• epiforums
    16 years ago

Denise,

The book came out earlier this year. I think I recall Mar/Apr. It was $48 USD plus $4 for shipping within the US. Here is some information from the Waxplant group, courtesy of Sandy (Hi Sandy!) and Ann Strahm:

All checks should be made out to Orca Publishing--4057 Carlton Ave., Central Point, Oreg.97502
    All money orders need to be sent to the above address...

Do contact Ann Wayman before sending out any checks, as they may have updated information/pricing regarding the ordering of the book.

Others,

And as suggested by Marcy (hello Marcy 2U2!), these are "handbooks" and "pictorial guides". They are not meant to be definitive lexicons or the standards to follow by (otherwise we'd be paying more than $200). Nitpicking spelling errors and possible "grey area" accuracy means you are spending too much time dissecting the book. You know what, write your own. Until then, you should enjoy this invaluable reference that was put together by gracious people who were willing to share their experiences.

I will add however, if the authors (Ann and Dale) do agree to certain inaccuracies, they should publish an addendum somewhere on the web for current book owners to download.

And for those who "claim" to still be writing their own book, maybe if they spent more time focused on the completion of it instead of being angry at the world all the time, we would have another book to purchase. But until then, this book is very much appreciated.

Thanks for getting me all fired up Marcy (heh).
    --Eddie

• Sandy130
    16 years ago

Awesome posts Eddie and Marcy - as always...now i need to get myself a copy too.....

• shiver
    16 years ago

Great thread! For awhile I've been searching for books on *just* hoyas, and was saddened to see there were none to be found. I thought Amazon.com must have some, but no. Even Rainbow Garden bookstore didn't have The World Of Hoyas A Book Of Pictures. I certainly have never had to call the *author* of a book to get my hands on one before. Surely there are enough people interested in hoyas to have a book that's easily available---what has happened? Do you think all of the name/ID problems has soured potential authors? :(

• pirate_girl
    16 years ago

There just aren't many books on them, that's all, Idon't know why, but guessing, it's expensive, takes a lot of traveling to see them in situ, etc. I'm sure the naming controversy didn't help either.

I had the first Kloppenburg book lent to me for a year, it was OK, frankly the care/culture stuff was of most interest to me. I knew before I read it that it had some mistakes, so I just borrowed instead of buying it. For the most part I enjoyed it & learned some from it (this was several yrs ago at least, I had just met Kloppenburg at Norma's in Burbank (a Hoya fest she had at the time)).

Caution here pls: tho' it was only slightly testy (to my ear) some of the above commentary abt the authors & their naming wars, etc. at times became so heated here that it gotten some folks banned (pre- IV, when Spike was in charge). I believe it may also be part of the ban against the vendor, she whose name can't be mentioned.

Just a caution here for the newer folks who may fall innocently into that pit!

• epiforums
    16 years ago

Here is a list of hoya books for sale I found in a recent catalog sent to me (most under $10). I purchased them all except for the first one for reasons which need not be explained here. I hope this gives you a better guide to hoya publications out there.

Burton, C.M. --- HOYAS I KNOW AND LOVE. A basic introduction on growing and caring for hoyas; watering, potting, repotting, etc. 24 color photos (including b/w line drawings of leaf structure) are included of 24 different types of hoyas. Descriptions of these hoyas are also included. 52 pages. 8-1/2" x 11", 3-ring binder.

Forster, Paul (Editor) --- HOYA IN AUSTRALIA. 1986. A first attempt to properly identify and describe the hoyas and dischidias found in Australia today. Includes introduction, distribution/ecology and cultivation of each of the species found, with location maps. Featured are 29 well illustrated full-page b/w line drawings of hoyas, dischidias stems, leaves, flower umbels, side views, etc. Includes a nice cultivation chapter. All semi-technical. 39 pages. 8-1/2" x 11-3/4", staplebound with heavy color cover.

Forster, Paul I. & Liddle, David J. --- HOYA IN AUSTRALIAÂAn Alternative Classification. 1990. This is an alternative classification to that of Mr. Hill, of the species of hoya in Australia excluding Hoya australis. Six species are described and illustrated: H. lauterbachii, H. macgillivrayi, H. nicholsoniae, H. psudolittoralis, and H. serpens, along with six full-page b/w drawings of hoyas, and one page of maps. Distribution and habitat of each variety is outlined in detail. 19 pages, 8-1/2" x 11", spiralbound photocopy reprint.

Kloppenburg, Dale --- HOYA BASICS . Rev. Edition, 1999. A first in hoya literature! Mr. Kloppenburg has produced a basic beginner's "know how" booklet with all you need to know to understand and grow hoyas. Author takes you through the mechanics of hoyas, how you can keep them healthy +
    propagation tips shared by experts. And, most importantly: how you can get your hoyas to bloom! Sixteen nice large-sized color photos included. 3 b/w photos, 44 pages, 8-½"x 11", spiralbound, with color cover and clear plastic overlayÂfront and back. Mint condition---never used.

SPECIES NAMES. 1992. Gives the correct pronunciation and meaning of thousands of words used when referring to hoyas in so many terms. 78 pages. 8-1/2" x 11", spiralbound.

Kloppenburg, Dale --- PHILIPPINE HOYA SPECIES. 1st Ed., 1991. 4 color photos, 350 b/w line drawings. 103 pages. 8-1/2" x 11", wirebound.

Kloppenburg, Dale --- THE WORLD OF HOYASÂA Book of Pictures. 1st Ed., 1999. This book illustrates not only the flowers of 102 different hoyas, but a look at the plantsÂtheir leaf and stem structure. Author takes you through the entire spectrum of the history of hoyas, where theyÂre found, historical
    information, plus full description and culture and care information on all hoyas pictured. For all true hoya lovers, this is a book worth having. 102 pages of color, 260 pages total. 8-1/2" x 11", 3-ring binder w/color front.

Rintz, R.E. --- THE PENINSULAR MALAYSIAN SPECIES OF HOYA.
    1978. The author basically gives the reader a study of the living Malaysian species of hoya, described and with detailed line drawings to outline his subjects. 30 full page b/w line drawings of the 30 different types of hoyas found in the Malaysian peninsula. 60 pages. 8-1/2" x 11", spiralbound photo reprint.

Schlechter, Rudolf --- HOYAS OF NORTHEASTERN NEW GUINEA. 1991 English translation of the 1913 German publication. Describes 51 hoya species native to that part of the world. 101 pages. 8-1/2" x 11", spiralbound.

Eddie

• pirate_girl
    16 years ago

Wow Eddie,

Holy smokes, what a compilation, thanks for posting this!!!

• epiforums
    16 years ago

Just wanted to send up photos of the covers of the books I listed previously. I think some of them were still available when I last looked. If there is anyone in the NYC area who wants to drop by for a cup of joe and to read them, drop a line.

-E

Sponsored
KA Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Industry Leading General Contractors in Columbus