SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
floridabear

Cassia Tree Identity, Can You Help?

floridabear
16 years ago

I managed to buy (3) 5 foot tall Cassia trees at Lowes yesterday, for only $5.00 each! BUT I don't know what variety they are. The label said they were Golden Tabibuia trees, which I know very well they are not! But these are in bud and starting to bloom now. Does that give you any hint? OR do they all bloom now? The yellow flower is a large single flower, about the size of a 'small quarter'. The flower cluster isnt overly full, like a Tabibuia, I know I am spelling that wrong, sorry, but they are in full bud now.

So there must be only certain Cassias that bloom this time of year in south Fla, right?? They are in 3 gallon pots and I have trimmed them up and they HAD a lot of large soft green scale on the new growth, BUT they hadn't deformed the growth at all, so I bought 3, and spent yesterday squishing the scale by hand, ICK!,and then sprayed the trees with Isotox after, to catch any I missed, and I will keep an eye on them for the next month or so to see if any more appear. But at $5.00 for a 5 foot tall trees in bud/bloom...THAT is worth the risk!

I hope the Isotox isn't to strong for the tree,the bottle says it is for trees and soft scales, so I used it. If it defoliates, hey, the leaves will come back! Are Cassias evergreen or are they deciduous trees? These are dropping a FEW leaves, but I don't know if it is because of the scale, or the time of the year, or just normal leaf drop, they are bottom stem leaves, NOT new growth leaves.

Does anyone know if Isotox is ok to use on a Cassia? In case I need to spray again.

So..which varieties could these be? I know they are Cassias, but all the yellow Cassias look so much alike, I can't figure out which they are. They are all the same variety that I know, but I can figure out which one. AND if any 'common' name is out there as well, that would be great! Thank you in advance.

Comments (11)