SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bluefeatherhollow

Reusable one piece canning lids

bluefeatherhollow
13 years ago

Back in the late 70's or early 80's I read about some new one piece reusable canning lids. Some weeks later, I found a shopping cart full of them that hadn't sold at the grocery - as they were different from what the area farm women had ever used, no one would buy them. 10 cents a dozen - dirt cheap even then.

Since I'd just read about how good they were, I scrabbled thru my purse and used every cent I could find to buy them. No groceries for me that day. What money I had went to buying these lids, as I started canning in June with strawberry jam and ended in November with venison.

They were gold and had a VERY thick 1/2 inch ribbon of sealing compound inside, they had a raised "button" that depressed when they sealed. I used them for YEARS - first time or two in the pressure canner, then on to tomatoes and finally to jams and jellies.

I've never found anything similar, and I've long ago thrown out the last of them. Anyone out there seen anything similar? Or still have any with the information on who made them? I never had one of these seals fail - unlike the new flimsy things we see nowadays - thin metal with barely enough compound to say they put any on there.

Comments (12)