Advice on my new purchases welcomed!I

gogirlterri
10 years ago

Yesterday I purchased 4 new hostas:
-Brother Stefan
-Fire Island
-Blue Ivory
-Vulcan
I would love to hear from others who are growing these and perhaps some pictures of your established hostas.

The Blue Ivory looks awesome and I hope it is a consistent developer and keeps getting better. Vulcan will probably be planted in a spot with morning sun. I hope it will be the Great Expectations sub I have been looking for.

My 3 year old June is out of this world. If anyone doesn't have June, I urge you to get one, or more from several sources. ( I have read that there are three or more color variations and all are beautiful,). It has often been applauded here in HF, and rightfully so.

I am so thrilled to have the season upon us. I have been depressed. I'd potted over a dozen hostas last fall and only 3 survived being eaten by squirrels because the walnut trees didn't produce nuts in last years drought. The 3 survivors are only hanging on literally by a thread. They are still in pots but need to be put to bed. The squirrels will still try to dig them up and cayenne pepper only slows them down. They've pulled out my recently planted Cracker Crumbs 4 times and I now have my dirt screen over it. (I have put so much cayenne pepper on it I might re-register it as 'Cajun Cracker Crumbs") But I need to find cheap cages of some kind to protect some of my younger hostas. Any suggestions on how to make cheap cages for a woman who doesn't like her hands poked and bleeding using hardware cloth?

Theresa

Comments (14)