SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
greattigerdane

Hoya nummularioides (Rooting cuttings)

greattigerdane
16 years ago

Rooting stem cuttings from this hoya always seems to be a hit or miss thing.

Most of the time the cuttings will rot. I did however manage to root a small pot twice with three to four cuttings filled with soil and plenty of perlite added. I guess I was lucky to have had success with those few, but it doesn't hardly ever works out that way,

I tried rooting in just straight Perlite, straight Vermiculite and they rot.

I tried rooting cuttings in a moist baggy, or just plain water, but, as soon as they get their roots and are moved into soil & Perlite (2.5" pot) they rot, or maybe all will rot except one stem. Grrr. I only water them one time and not again until it's pretty close to dry.

Is there a trick to rooting this hoya with better success? Straight Orchid Bark perhaps?

Thanks,

Billy Rae

Comments (17)

• ines_99
    16 years ago

I lost my first batch of nummularioides cuttings too ( I swiped them from a planter in the Trump Marina lobby in Atlantic City...proof that crime doesn't pay! ) I think the reason I lost them is because they were old wood, which can sometimes rot when overexposed to wet soil, at least in my experience. I have also had issues rooting in water and then moving to soil, the roots the cuttings get in water are not the same as what they need in soil, so it is an unecessary step in my opinion.

So I guess my question is, where are you getting the cuttings? I have a full size numm and I know that when I send someone cuttings, I am hard pressed to find some that aren't already looking woody. So my suggestion would be to definately stay away from old wood cuttings, root the greener ones. And maybe you could try keeping the soil on the drier side, root the cuttings in a clay pot instead of plastic to keep the air circulating (I just easily rooted a piece in clay) and mist as frequently as possible - the whole pot, not just the plant. THis will keep the moisture up without you having to soak the soil. It might sound like a little more work, but I always have my mister bottle full and ready, and whenever I walk by, I give the cuttings a spritz or two.

• k0okie
    16 years ago

Sigh... I have been looking for nummularioides for a while now but apperantly no one has any in Canada. The only place so far is in the Netherlands.

• Related Discussions

Hoya nummularioides, lacunosa, bella

Q

Comments (15)
    Golden - I can't walk into any of my local garden centres or supermarkets and find Hoyas either, so you're not alone. I did use to have a garden centre that stocked the variegated Hoya carnosa, carnosa and australis, but I moved away from there. Now I have to wait until they're advertised on Ebay. I'm quite excited because it's started to be time for them to come back online and I've spotted one I want! Must remember to not spend all my money on plants... ah well! And I've never seen a European order to David Liddle - I'm sure they happen, but I've never been involved, so I'm not sure whether I'll ever get a package of plants from Australia!
    ...See More

My nummularioides cuttings have rooted

Q

Comments (1)
    Congrats Xuan!! You are having the best luck with your Hoyas, post pics after they fully bloom...looking forward to it.
    ...See More

Rooting a HOYA CARNOSA VARIAGATED CUTTING

Q

Comments (3)
    You can just root it directly in your planting medium. You need to create a loose mix, something like 2/3 potting soil and 1/3 perlite, and if you tend to have a heavy hand when watering, I'd throw some orchid bark into your mix. When you root a cutting, be sure to keep it out of any direct light - a bright, warm spot is best. For me, the most foolproof way to root is in pure perlite, preferably the chunky kind, which you can find at true nurseries. I use deep pots, but about 3" of perlite in the bottom and rest the cutting against the side with the cut end down in the perlite. Keep it in a deepish tray with some water in it at all times so the perlite stays moist. They produce really nice roots this way, and moving them to soil is no shock at all, like it can be moving water roots into soil. Denise in Omaha
    ...See More

WANT: Hindu Rope (Hoya carnosa) HAVE: Epiphyllum rooted cuttings

Q

Comments (0)
    I would like to have hindu rope but I'll take any hoya cuttings to get started. I have ephiphyllum (orchid cactus) rooted cuttings in several colors (unmarked) to trade for it.
    ...See More
  • epiphyticlvr
    16 years ago

Ines,
    Don't you think it is wrong to just take cuttings from public places? As a volunteer at a public garden it is the bane of our existance. Lots of people put in a lot of hard work to make these places pretty and accessible for everyone. I have seen you post similar on other sites too so it isnt just this once. Next time why don't you try asking? Most times they will assist you and let you know if it is ok. If everyone felt that sense of entitlement none of us would have any public gardens or spaces for all of us to enjoy. Sorry but as a volunteer I have seen some gorgeous plants stolen because people feel they can just up and take them with no regard for anyone else. In the end we all pay for these in one way or another. Next time, think twice and just ask. There are a lot of generous people out there who will be happy to share and if not well, there just may be a good reason. But please don't just take it because you want it. Thank you.

• trace00969
    16 years ago

I am in Canada too, and in addition to the high postage, it is hard to get plants across the border without a photosanitary certificate, which could run you up to $50......I am in Kookies boat, hoyas a are so hard to come by.

I think the name of the place is Pike lake greenhouse in Sask, it is a wee bit pricey though, well for me it is. $25 for a 4 inch plant, $20 if you order 4+, and $15 for I think 8+, and he doesn't do credit cards, only money orders, I have been contemplating ordering from there too, but money is a bit tight right now, so it will have to wait.

Tracy

• k0okie
    16 years ago

yes it's pike lake. He is a great person to buy from and if you think about it that is the price for the plant, excellent packaging, and shipping. We ended up ordering quite a few plants so they were 15 each. He doesnt have nummularioides otherwise i would get some from him.

How much would shipping be to here Ines?? It'd probably be cheaper then ordering from the netherlands.

• trace00969
    16 years ago

Kookie, so you have ordered from him?? Does the plant price include the shipping, I only talked to him briefly, and I want to order close to ten too to make it worth the money.....so how did you do it, money order first, then tell him what you want? How long for the order to arrive?? Hearing abut it, might make me gather the money to gt some, I am unsure when it comes to spending that much money on plants.

Thanks Kookie

Tracy

• greattigerdane
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks ines,

Hmmm, old wood cuttings? That might be problem. Then I was thinking it was the soil, maybe they would do better in something entirely different, I just don't know.
    I have one cutting in one pot (plastic) and three in another (plastic) I am ready to try rooting them outside in the the ground!

The four cuttings that I managed to root are in plastic pots. The cuttings could have been newer tips, although they all pretty much looked the same to me.

I get the cuttings from one I have in a hanging basket that was bought about 5-6 yrs ago in a local greenhouse.

I think it's getting to late to start anymore cuttings, but in the spring I'll try again and use a clay pot and then just spritz them and see what happens.

Billy Rae

• mdahms1979
    16 years ago

I just got a cutting of Hoya nummularioides and one thing that I have noticed is that roots develop out of the stem at intervals but they also develop more heavily out of the leaf petioles. This species is clearly more of an epiphytic climber that hugs the bark of trees etc. instead of twining around other plants for support.

Perhaps it would be better to root this species by simply lying it on the moist potting mix rather than burying any part of the cutting. If anyone is interested I can take a photo of the developing roots on my Hoya nummularioides cutting.

Here is a link with several photos of Hoya species growing in nature. The top photo that looks like it could be Hoya serpens or a similar looking species illustrates the kind of growth I was speaking about, with the plant tightly clinging to it's support with mnay roots.

Here is a link that might be useful: Hoya habitat photos

• PRO
    Jan Sword-Rossman Realty 239-470-6061
    16 years ago

Hi Mikedahms, Wow! I love Hoya habitat photos. Thanks for posting. I've always wondered about how hoyas look like in own habitat.

• gabro14
    16 years ago

Hi all..

I rooted some nummularioides cuttings several months ago, and I had no problem at all. To tell you the truth, I've had no problem rooting any hoya cuttings (knock on wood!), regardless of thickness/woodiness of stems. The nummularioides cuttings were pretty woody, and they rooted fast and developed a huge root system relatively quickly. I'm sure I posted this before, but here's what I do:

I pot the cuttings into a small-ish plastic pot (depending on the size and amount of cuttings, usually between 2-4" pots). I use my usual soil mixture so that I have no "transition problems" (orchid or fir bark, perlite, and regular potting soil). Then I cover the pot with a ziplock baggie that I've already poked a bunch of holes in (or I put the whole pot inside if it fits). Before closing the bag I spritz with my Eleanor's mixture (plain water would be fine though), and I continue to spritz inside the bag every few days. I keep the cuttings in bright but indirect light.

Hope that helps.
    Gabi

• ines_99
    16 years ago

I came across a blog where someone talked about rooting some other hoya, forget which, by the method where you put small pots next to the mama plant and then pin segments of the branches to the soil in the small pots - If I look at my nummularioides, there are roots at almost every node, so this would probably work great. Once rooted, you clip the segment from the parent plant.

I have never tried this with any hoya, but it probably would work great.

• annemieke
    16 years ago

Hello, I am new to this group but have been reading the forums. I live in Campbell River, B.C. and have struggled to find close reasonably priced hoyas. I recently ordered some plants from Paul Shirley in the Netherlands. I received 10 cuttings (very nice ones). It took only 10 days to get here, he had marked "ornaments" on the box. The price including shipping for the 10 plants was only 29 euros. I thought that was very reasonable.
    Annemieke

• greattigerdane
    Original Author
    16 years ago

mikedahms and gabro,

Thanks for the suggestions! Out of like 6-7 cuttings, only two have rooted, why just two? I don't know...

In the spring I'll try these other methods and maybe a couple more and see what happens!

Billy Rae

• ines_99
    16 years ago

Is anyone else's nummularioides loaded up with buds right now? Last year I had alot, but the plant was outdoors - when I brought it inside, the buds all blasted except for a few. This year I kept it inside, put it in one of the few very bright spots I have under a skylight, and there are so many buds on this plant that you can barely see the foliage.
    Since I won't be moving it from outside to inside this year, I am expecting it to follow through for me. Two other numm plants I have outside have no buds, though one of them is 6 month old rooted cuttings.

How do you post pictures on this site? I thought you had to join flickr or one of the photo websites and then provide a link to your photos there, but someone told me that isn't so...

• PRO
    Jan Sword-Rossman Realty 239-470-6061
    16 years ago

Ines 99, here is a photo instruction I copied from GW. I don't remember who's post it was but worked for me.

Here's the basics: I think it's easier to do all this if you have two browser windows open - one on photobucket and one on gardenweb. Go to photobucket(dot)com and open an account. It's free, takes only a minute, and is no harder than signing on to GardenWeb. There are other photo posting services but I think this one is the easiest to use. Once you have the account you'll see how easy it is to upload your photos to photobucket. You can set up sub-albums with one click of the mouse, so you can sort your photos into different subject (more on that below). When they are there, you'll see three little 'addresses' under each picture. Highlight the middle one - the TAG line - and 'copy' it. (You can copy it by right clicking on your mouse and selecting 'copy', or by clicking on EDIT at the very top of your computer screen.) Once it's copied, go to the GardenWeb message you are composing and paste the TAG line directly into the text of your message. Don't put it at the URL line under the text box. At this point you will only see text, but once you choose to view your message you'll see the photo. If it comes out too big, then go back to photobucket and choose the EDIT button over that photo. You'll have the option there to reduce the photo by 75, 50, or 25 percent. 75% makes it a good size for these messages, but 50% works too. Try both on different photos and see what you like. Technically I think you can post as many photos as you want in each message but remember that not everyone has a high speed line and try to keep it to 5 or less. More than that makes it pretty slow to load for some. Here's the sub-album tip about photobucket or any other service you use: set up sub-albums for different subjects so you don't end up with 200 photos in one album. For example, I have Garden 2005, Garden 2006, House Shots, Yard Sale (where I post photos for things I am selling through the newspaper or eBay), All the Muffins (pet pictures), etc. Besides making it hard to find something if you have it all in one album, if you ever decide to move photos later, any link you've posted on the web will be lost.

• ines_99
    16 years ago

thanks Jan