SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
biwako_of_abi

Please help--spots on my Hoya tsungii

biwako_of_abi
18 years ago

It has been blooming for the first time, and blooming beautifully, but many of the leaves have gotten these brown spots. They do not go through to the back of the leaf, nor are they in any way raised or different in texture from the rest of the leaf, with its waxy surface. Some are light brown and others a dark caramel. Am I watering too much? The plant is hanging under the eaves and gets sun, a lot of it through the leaves of a tree, for 4~5 hours in the morning. I thought it was happy, but then, I know next to nothing about Hoyas.

Comments (7)

• ooojen
    18 years ago

I won't pretend to be an expert, but I'll give my own obserrvation. Mine gets reddish-brown spots on the leaves as a response to direct sun. If the texture & overall look of your plant's leaves seem healthy, that may be the case with yours, too. That extra sunshine might make the leaves look less than perfect, but it does bring on the blooms!

• biwako_of_abi
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thanks, Ooojen. I hope that's all it is. By the way, is there a way to post pictures in this forum? I had thought I did, but evidently not. Do people use the Cacti Gallery?

• ooojen
    18 years ago

You can put pictures directly in your thread from a picture hosting site, but if you want to skip a step, there's a Hoya Gallery, too.

• biwako_of_abi
    Original Author
    18 years ago

I don't use a picture hosting site, so I just posted a picture of the leaves for you on the Hoya Gallery. Thanks for calling it to my attention, Ooojen.

• biwako_of_abi
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thanks. I'll try that. The brown spots just remind me of apple rot so much that I panic.

• Wildcat_IN_Z5
    18 years ago

I also get small brown spots on my K8/C due to direct sun as well...I notice it on the top/upper leaves which are more yellow. They get more sun and are of course older leaves as well.

Wildcat

• biwako_of_abi
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thank you all. To tell the truth, though I am sorry for harming the plant, I am relieved to know that it is sunburn and not some horrible disease that will kill the plant. It is hanging from east-facing eaves, a foot or two from the white stucco wall of the house, and only gets morning sun. Of course, it gets more sun in this season than in others. The long shoots it puts out have nowhere to go, so they hang down. Would it do better if I let it climb up a tree (not that I have many candidates for that job, either)? Will it climb up a tree? I appreciate all the comments.

Sponsored