SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
angeleyedcat

Hoya Wick Watering

angeleyedcat
13 years ago

I have also posted a similar question in cactus:

Hello,

I have several large hoyas, no babies, that are all in hanging baskets. My husband and I tend to have to go away often, sometimes for a few days to a week, usually with no notice at all. These times away will start becoming 2 or more weeks each time in the very near future so I have been adapting many of my houseplants to wick watering and using a very light mix. (I have no one to ask to water my houseplants) I have been able to go away for 2 weeks in the past and no harm has been done to the Hoyas so they are still in their usual mix, but longer than that would be a problem so I have been trying to come up with watering ideas. I have been also been using a temporary terrarium setup for potted orchids during these times which have been successful, another option.

I am wondering if anyone has tried wick watering or something similar for Hoyas? I've read mikedahms excellent post about using wicking for going away but does anyone do it regularly? If I use a very light mix and limit the amount of wick in the pot I can make the pot stay just barely moist - I've been successfully keeping a dracena this way for the last year (as an experiment) Does anyone have any ideas about this? Or suggestions for making a reservior for a big hanging plant?? The biggest problem is I only get a few hours notice at best so the solution has to be either a permanent change or quick and easy.

Thank you!

Comments (16)

Sponsored