SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lmw845

Plant shopping extravaganza!

lmw845
13 years ago

I don't know about you but I am an unashamed, manic plant buyer. The acquisition of plants for my garden is as much fun for me as planting and watching them grow. This weekend I attended my second auction at Manza Family Farm in Montgomery, and I had to share the shopping madness with any other over-enthusiastic plant purchasers out there.

Mostly a tree & shrub nursery, Manza's was also auctioning perennials, grasses and landscape roses. The auction crowd is an even mix of homeowners, landscape contractors and plant nerds. I overheard owner Tom saying the next auction will probably be in Mid-July, but they run them all season long every few weeks.

Shrubs are grouped in lots of 3 or more, and trees are usually sold solo, with an option to buy more. A pro-auctioneer conducts the negotiating and it is fast paced fun! And that is the point of this post...

This is the most fun I've EVER had plant shopping. Which is why I found myself there again this past Saturday, in the rain, needing more plants like I need a hole in the head.

Need more convincing you should stop by the next Manza auction? Here's my booty from yesterday:

6 Anemone 'Honorine Jobert'

1 Fringe Tree - 5'

1 Japanese White Pine - 5'

1 Full Moon Maple - 7'

3 Hydrangea 'Limelight' - 3 gal

3 Juniper 'Broadmoor' - 2 gal

5 Cotoneaster

Total: $175.00 (That's appx 70% off retail prices)

I'll be sure to post next time I see an auction scheduled. Wear your wellies, bring cash for snacks at the concession stand and leave your plant buying inhibitions at home. See you there!

Here is a link that might be useful: Manza Family Farm

Comment (1)

Sponsored
Native Plant Scapes
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
Your Friendly Native Plant Landscape Designers in Loudoun County