SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
quinnfyre

Couldn't stand it anymore... had to get var. macrophylla!

quinnfyre
14 years ago

I've been reading through posts, checking out hoya setups and just learning about them in general. I had a hoya carnosa Krimson Queen from a church sale many years ago in college but I think I had to give it away when I left (too many plants to fit in the car). I only finally got another hoya last year, kentiana, and while I liked it, it didn't feel like doing much. Suddenly, a year later, I have all these newly rooted hoyas, and the kentiana has really taken off. Two different lacunosas, brevialata, kerrii, three different pubicalyx varieties, my beloved carnosa Krimson Queen again, linearis... Still, I tried to tell myself I didn't want any more, especially larger leafed ones. No room, I said. Let some of the ones I already have mature, I said. But every time I scrolled past those pictures in the hoya setups thread, to read new replies, that variegated macrophylla kept catching my eye. Finally, I couldn't stand it. I had to get one. I ordered one on Monday. Rather impressively, I received it Wednesday morning. And it is gorgeous. It's got two grown leaves, and new baby leaves starting.

So, it's official. Hoyas have sucked me in. Now buotii, benguetensis, and pottsii have been catching my eye. Uh oh...

On a slightly more serious note, can I get opinions on these three, and the macrophylla? Fast growers, slow growers, tricky to grow, or easy? If any of the three are difficult in any way, I'd like to stay away from them for now, until I feel all these hoyas I already have become more established. I know I already tried telling myself that, but I'd like to give this bit of logic another try ; )

Comments (20)

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!