SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
quinnfyre

Hoya paulshirleyi, blooming again

quinnfyre
12 years ago

I might have mentioned before that this seems to want to bloom more than it wants to grow. So here it goes again. No new leaves, but this is new vine growth, at least. There is also another peduncle higher up on the vine. BTW, the flowers in the background are from obovata, towards the end of blooming (as in, just about to fall off). I didn't manage to get a pic in time, nor did I get to try and smell them. Oh well. It seems fairly willing to bloom so I will catch it next time.

This time, I noticed a scent! It's a light somewhat sweet floral scent, with another note of something I can't really describe, slightly sour, slightly dairy? Makes me think a little of yogurt, but that's not quite it. The scent is surprisingly strong for how tiny the flowers are. This is the third time it's bloomed for me, I believe. I got it as a cutting last year, with a peduncle already on it. But I didn't really notice a scent the last couple times. It was in my terrarium then, in lower light. Now it is in a south window. Maybe that's the difference?

Comments (25)

Sponsored
J.Holderby - Renovations
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Franklin County's Leading General Contractors - 2X Best of Houzz!