SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
daniss_gw

How do you protect your expensive hosta?

daniss
13 years ago

I have about 8 expensive hostas (ranging from $60 to $350). I grow most of them in pots and move them into the shed for the winter). But I also have a couple of them in the ground. As my beds are expanding, the destruction has become worse. Last summer was the most disastrous, as many of the plants were eaten and some of them just disappeared. I do have voles, chipmunks and some of the most aggressive squirrels that I believe do the most destruction in my garden..I do use a vole poison and it seems that it helps a bit. I recently realized that I lost Midnight Moon..someone had it's crown for a lunch but left the roots intact. And this plant had a streaked division!

It is difficult to believe that I am the only one in such a situation.. How do you grow and protect your expensive hostas? Do you think it would be a good idea to move field grown plants into pots and plant them back into the ground in their pots, and move them into the shed for the winter (a lot of work..ah)? Or maybe use a wire metal planter.. but how would you protect the crown..?

Any suggestions would be really appreciated.

Comments (23)