SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
josephines67

Leap year for BME

This is a picture of BME in 2013. I've had it since 2008. It is in its 6th year this season and in what I consider to be a significant LEAP year.

Some of you may recall this newbie pondering whether or not to divide BME for no other purpose than to have more BME's last July/Aug. I did go ahead and ended up with 4 divisions as they separated themselves so easily.

Least year it produced 11 pips and 9 perfectly proportioned flower scapes (see photo). Are you ready??? ... ... ... This year ... "wait for it" ... ... this year the pots contain 14, 8, 6, and 4 pips respectively - for a grand total of 32 pips! I think that is a tremendous leap in one year, don't you? It may still be producing pips as I type!! Hmm, is there something significant about the coincidence of even numbers? Interesting. It is always more pleasing to the eye when they grow in multiples of 3 (per pot) but I am not disturbing these little Mice! :-) --- yet.

I think the dividing and potting up (don't mean up-potting) had a significant role in this huge increase. (It grew in the ground previously.) It was obviously happier in a soilless growing medium and snuggled in a small pot! - in only Miracle Grow - no other amendments.

Aside: I now use my own mix and will be repotting those hostas destined to continue in pots for the rest of the year. My mix came about as a result of numerous excellent responses to my recent thread seeking advice on potted hostas.

Would anyone care to comment on this phenomenal growth? I am obviously very happy.

This, and Holy Mouse Ears are the easiest minis to grow! If you don't yet own one, why ever not? It is absolute perfection! I've never "pampered" it and ignored written advice to let it grow in a pot until it gets established. It grew fairly well despite me, lol! But not as well as this.

Esther, you just got one and have lots to look forward to with yours. Bkay you also have a huge beauty in a pot.

Well, there are a couple of things I touched upon here. Looking forward to some dialogue folks!

Jo

Comments (17)

Sponsored
Fine Designs & Interiors, Ltd.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
Columbus Leading Interior Designer - Best of Houzz 2014-2022