SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
greedygh0st

Top 10 Hoyas

greedygh0st
12 years ago

[:::.ONE.:::] If someone you were especially fond of took a serious interest in Hoyas and your access to cuttings was completely unrestricted, what TEN HOYAS would you start them out with?

[:::.TWO.:::] Now, how much does this list differ from what you would give them if you were limited to cuttings from plants in your collection?

I wonder whether the overlap of these lists is a good measure of contentment. My prediction is that our lists for the first question will strongly resemble each other, but our lists for the second question will be fascinatingly different!

Comments (35)

• kellyknits
    12 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Answer One:
    1. buotii
    2. megalantha
    3. fitchii
    4. inflata
    5. lucardenasiana
    6. caudata
    7. elliptica
    8. patella
    9. praetorii
    10. danumensis
    8. bella Luis Bois

Answer Two:
    For this one does it have to be ones we have that are BIG enough for cuttings?

• lightning96
    12 years ago

Wow, I have a long way to go in my hoya journey! I have not seen any of the ones that Kelly mentions. I mean, I've seen pics of them online but would never know enough to recommend those ones to someone. Do you have all of those ten, Kelly?

• Related Discussions

fertilizer? 10-10-10, 12-12-12, 12-10-10, 45-0-0

Q

Comments (17)
    I wish I had a nickel for every time someone came to my yard, admired my plants and then said since I was a "professional" I must be using some secret fertilizer on my plants to make them look so nice. Are they surprised when I explained I buy what is cheapest at the time! K-grow from K-mart for a liquid fertilizer. High in Urea so it takes about two weeks before you see any reaction by the plant. I mention this because their are no "miracle fertilizers". I am not buying tomato grow, rose grow ect for each plant i fertilize. Yes I agree some plants are more heavy nitrogen feeders than others. Sometimes the issue is the fertility of the soil you have. I have used 10-10-10 on my tree fruits with good results. I have used lawn fertilizer (28-0-16) and had good results too, just use at a much lower rate as higher in nitrogen. My soils are fine on phosphorus and we have a phosphorus ban here anyway unless it is a new planting. I did not spring for a soil test but let the trees tell me the problem. I strive for 18"-24" of new growth on young fruit trees. If I don't get it, then next year I fertilize. Too much growth, then cut back or eliminate fertilizing the following year. I fertilize all my young fruit trees with a granular fertilizer just after leaf out by broadcasting it around the drip-line of the tree. My soil must be very low in nitrogen as imust apply a lite application around old established trees too or their foliage turns yellow-green by mid-June. I fertilize the old trees at about half the rate I use on the young ones so I do not promote a lot of growth but have good leaf color. I know this is not scientific but it has worked for me and I am happy with the results. If I was professionally growing fruit for a living, I would gladly pay for a soil test as well worth the cost and not worth the risk of going without it.
    ...See More

Hoyas, hoyas and....more hoyas!

Q

Comments (35)
    For anyone who wishes to order hoyas from Thailand or any other foreign country for that matter,make sure that you can get a phyto certificate to accommodate your shipment before you pay for it. Customs has been getting their panties in a twist lately and destroying any shipments that are not accompanied by proper documentation. I had a rather large order of rare hoyas coming from Thailand that were shipped on 8/11. The box finally showed up at my house on 8/26. EMPTY!!!! All that was in it was a piece of paper from customs stating that the cuttings had in fact been inspected,were found to be insect and disease free but due to no phyto ( my fault) with the shipment ,my hoyas were destroyed. Bad part about it was that instead of the idiot inspector destroying the box as well, I mean hey if you trash the plants,trash the box too,they found it amusing to go ahead and send me the empty box. A letter would have been fine, my name and address were right on the box!!! The Thai vendor who is someone that i've dealt with for several years now was gracious enough to replace the shipment for me,with a phyto this time. That box was mailed last Monday 9/14,it arrived in N.Y. Saturday 9/19 and it was at my house yesterday 9/21,sent EMS. It took exactly 1 week from the day of shipment for me to receive the order and everything was in excellent condition. david
    ...See More

Hoya leaves on top of the soil are rotting/decomposing?

Q

Comments (2)
    It's probably a combination of soil that is too water retentive, lack of light to the top of the pot and most importantly lack of air circulation to that area that lead to leaves rotting. > Should i not pour water directly on top of it? Some plants would mind that, but not lacunosa. Older leaves dying is a natural process, but if you leave them there, they do rot with time. This is exactly how plants get fertilizer in nature, one of the ways they get it, anyway. In pots, cleaning out those dead leaves is a good idea before they start rotting.
    ...See More

IKEA sektion base cabinets: 5/10/15, 10/10/10, or 15/15?

Q

Comments (20)
    Our kitchen is not fully assembled yet (we're waiting on the countertop install) so we haven't fully fleshed out the drawer uses. We started by looking at work areas then made our best guess as to the most useful drawer combinations - not what was necessarily aesthetically pleasing. We found that 10-inch drawers seem to be the most useful. Out of the nine base cabinets there are nineteen 10-inch drawers (there is a tray cab with a door, and the sink cab with a trash pullout and a door). We did put a combo of 5-5-10-10 drawers in one cabinet. The 5-inch drawers hold utensils. In fact we just purchased the Ikea bamboo trays for those. As others have done, we also have two 15-inch drawers for appliances. In only one instance do we use an inner drawer. That's the spice drawer where the 10-inch holds the commonly used spices and the inner holds the less often used items. Our rule has always been "open and get", not "open, open, get" - way too inefficient for us ;-) As an aside we found that the Ikea Variera spice trays do not fit neatly in a 24" wide cabinet drawer (which was disappointing). We'll probably end up with non-slip drawer mats.
    ...See More
  • scsva
    12 years ago

1. H. Carnosa
    2. H. Carnosa Chelsea
    3. H. Carnosa White
    4. H. Obovata
    5. H. Obovata Silver Spots
    6. H. Publicalyx Pink Silver
    7. H. Publicalyx Bright One
    8. H. Carnosa Krimson Queen
    9. H. Carnosa Krimson Princess
    10.H. Pottsii (all varieties)
    and lots more..
    Susan

• Denise
    12 years ago

First, if I don't grow it, I wouldn't be encouraging a newbie to get it. And I probably wouldn't give them my 10 favorites because I think it would be better for them to "cut their teeth" on simple ones before they move on to more difficult species. So ones I would get them started on would be...

carnosa and related species ('Krimson Queen', x. obovata...)
    pubicalyx 'Pink Silver' and the other cultivars
    kerrii
    lacunosa
    DS-70
    australis ssp. tenuipes

But if I had to pick MY favorites, that would be tough, and it does change. But here's my list as of today...

macrophylla (always on my top 10 list)
    callistrophylla
    sp. Nong Nooch
    verticillata
    macgillivrayii
    carnosa ssp. carnosa
    cv. Jennifer
    'Krimson Queen'
    shepherdii
    davidcummingii

Ask me tomorrow and I'm sure there will be some changes!

Denise in Omaha

• greedygh0st
    Original Author
    12 years ago

You make a good point, Denise. However, I think as long as I am inventing a friend who is interested in Hoyas, I might as well make them a genius.

For question 2, my answer is:

1. villosa

My first list had both villosa and carnosa 'Krinkle 8' but poor carnosa got elbowed out because I couldn't justify having two such similar Hoyas in the list, and I love villosa best. From the point at which they look like tiny moth antennae to full rolling, fuzzy, glossy maturity, these leaves are just spectacular.

2. variegated macrophylla

You'd think a plant with such amazing leaves would be stingy, but variegated mac is no such thing. It puts out new leaves so fast it makes my head spin trying to keep it properly hydrated. Yep, that's the only problem with this plant: it is so generous with its gorgeous growth that it's like a friend who bakes you too many pies.

3. sp. Philippines #10 [FT]

There should be a campanulate species in every collection, and although campanulata/danumensis/wallichi are the most sought after specimen, siariae and blashernaezii have equally beautiful blooms, and much more attractive leaves. sp. #10 is of this ilk, and its bloom colors of pale green and pink are extra special.

4. erythrostemma

I really wanted to put mindorensis 0768 here, which as you know, has amazing leaves that I love very much. However, as I started my rant about how other mindorensises could not be substituted, and if they were to be substituted, then you might as well choose erythrostemma, I realized that erythrostemma > mindorensis. Yeah, that's right, I said it. Erythrostemma flowers are every bit as pretty as mindorensis flowers, while the leaves and growth habit are more similar to species like acuta which has leaves like luscious arrowheads. So, this species basically straddles two traits which I like very much, stealing the thunder from both mindorensis and acuta/verticillata/etc.

5. onychoides

A top 10 collection requires at least one of the big showy blooms: archboldiana, macgillivrayi, onychoides, or imperialis. I like the growth habit of the first three the best, and onychoides is my favorite. I enjoy the way it has a proclivity for branching, while maintaining a delicacy that belies its heavy blooms. Its leaves also develop a chalky quality that is very interesting.

6. megalantha

The dilemma for me here was that I wanted to include one of the fuzzy leaved Hoyas, (thompsonii or patella) and I wanted to include one of the splayed bell flowers (pauciflora or patella). In the end, pauciflora deserved it more than patella. The delicate frige of its velvety leaves is one of the finest examples of this class of Hoya leaf and its blooms are disproportionately large. THEN it all got scrapped, because it went head to head with megalantha. Nobody beats megalantha, which combines all that I love about bell shaped flowers, with all that I love about paziae and chlorantha's aggressive growth and spring fresh leaves.

7. rigida 1669

Latifolia has clamored for a spot twice now, and twice it has gotten beaten out by other large leafed contendors. Rigida probably owns this spot because I know it better. I love it because it's carefree, dominating, and showy. I chose 1669 to provide proper contrast with macrophylla.

8. finlaysonii

Heavily veined leaves must represent and finlaysonii has the best balance between strong impact and moderate space claims. I particularly like the varieties with wavy leaves, but maybe a flat variety would be better since I already included villosa.

9. praetorii

I just got this plant, so it's pretty premature to be including it on a top 10 list, but I have a great fondness for multiflora-ish species and it seemed a bit unfair to rob my buddy of the candidate with the more fascinating and sought-after blossoms.

10. publicalyx 'Black Dragon'

Well, I still feel bad about kicking carnosa off the list, and I didn't even give australis a chance (bite me, australis!), so I couldn't disinclude the third leg of the Hoya power triad. 'Black Dragon' may not share the chocolatey luster or silvery splash of the leaves of its compatriots, but it certainly embodies their spirit of exhuberant growth. And black blooms. Black Blooms. It would bring out the goth side of a flower child.

Of course, I wrote up that list before I read Kelly's response and I can't believe I didn't think of caudata or lucardenasiana, or elliptica - but too late now! (inflata is really killer too, for list 1)

For question 1, I would substitute in somewhere the following:

sp. Lata Iskandar A and/or B
    sp. Estrella Waterfalls
    THIS finlaysonii
    THIS buottii
    aff. mindorensis

Oh and I could go on and on with this list, but I really do love the ones from my original list so much that I don't really think any of them deserve to be bumped.

Oh and Kelly, of course we are pretending you have plenty to cut from all of your plants. You should know me well enough by now to know that I go whole hog when I play make believe.

I am loving everyone's lists so far, btw. I just keep nodding my head emphatically at the computer screen agreeing with every item. LOL

• scsva
    12 years ago

Denise, have you seen that macrophylla splash, yet? To die for!

Susan

• kellyknits
    12 years ago

Lightening-

I have 8 of the 10 in my list. Hoping to get the last two this summer...and praying I can successfully grow them!

Just realized I had 11 on my list! Had changed out Bella Luis Bois, but I do think that one everyone should have - it really brightens up a room!

Kelly

• lightning96
    12 years ago

Since I am a new hoya grower I think I could recommend hoyas to a newbie! Except for davdicummingi which I hear can be a little moody the hoyas I have are all easier ones.

10 hoyas to start out with:

1. fungii --- this one grows like a weed for me and i think it would make any newbie feel competent. and I love its large leaves.
    2. obovata --- love this one for the same reasons. i love round leaves and this one is very vigorous & hardy.
    3. cv. Mathilde --- for the small round leaves!
    4. australis ssp. tenuipes --- an easy bloomer to make any newbie feel good!
    5. pubicalyx varities --- easy to grow and beautiful foliage
    6. diptera --- another easy bloomer for me
    7. lacunosa --- heavenly smells
    8. carnosa
    9. diversifolia
    10. pottsii

• puglvr1
    12 years ago

My top 10 favorites...not necessarily in this order.

1. Sigillatis
    2. Sp. square
    3. Villosa
    4. Imperialis
    5. Caudata
    6. Elliptica
    7. Patella
    8. Darwinii
    9. Australis 'lisa'
      10. Nicholsoniae

Like Denise, this list changes from week to week...depending on what is growing well and what's giving me problems,lol...

• quinnfyre
    12 years ago

Hmmm, I was wondering if your theoretical friend (or I guess for the purposes of this exercise, my theoretical friend) was to be a beginner newbie, or an experienced grower who just happened to miss out on hoyas til now. But you answered that question when you shared your list.

In no particular order, based on the same assumption that my imaginary friend is also an experienced grower of plants and can handle whatever hoya is thrown their way:

1. fungii. It just seems like a good all around hoya.
    2. lacunosa, any one. I don't think a collection is complete without a lacunosa.
    3. buotii. It is a gorgeous plant that grows really well for me. If I ever get to see those fuzzy starfish blooms, it will be a bonus.
    4. subcalva. Great leaves, great blooms, lovely hoya!
    5. calycina. Beautiful leaves that are soft and fuzzy too! The blooms are supposed to be very fragrant also, but I haven't seen em yet.
    6. sp. square leaf. It is sooo cute, and grows well for me.
    7. fitchii. Very pretty veined leaves. Good grower in a nice compact size, leaving you room for more hoyas!
    8. variegated macrophylla. I don't think I need to say why, do I?
    9. vitiensis. It has unusual leaves, unusual blooms, and grows nice and fast.
    10. finlaysonii. It's a distinctive hoya, with great leaves.

I didn't start this friend off with carnosa or pubicalyx because they're sure to get these on their own sooner or later. It's just about unavoidable :)

My favorites, also in no particular order:

1. sp. Tanna Island. It grows crazy fast. It is lovely and unruly and vines everywhere. It seems like such a festive plant.
    2. lambii. Awesome leaves. Big, round, nice shape, grows in those neat funnel clusters, and they are fuzzy on the back too! Not something that gets mentioned too often.
    3. subcalva. I love this hoya. Very pretty.
    4. buotii. Easy going, grows like mad, beautiful pointed leaves.
    5. sp. square leaf. Cute and a good grower. Someday I will see those adorable blooms!
    6. retusa. A weird weird hoya. Grows nicely in my terrarium.
    7. patella. It's adorable. The blooms look absolutely lovely. Only negative? It grows soooo slowly.
    8. calycina. It's beautiful. It's not fussy. And it's like having another pet, with those fuzzy leaves.
    9. finlaysonii. Mine is a pink flowered form from Asiatica. I just love looking at it, every day. The leaves are marvelous.
    10. lacunosa. I couldn't decide which was going to be that last one, but I settled on lacunosa because I see it every day, and it always makes me happy. The leaves have a great shape, and the cascade of leaves is so attractive.

It was between lacunosa, variegated macrophylla, and benguetensis. Lacunosa won because it's just so comforting.

Out of my recommendations, the only one I don't have is fungii. I'll get it someday, but with limited space, it hasn't been a priority. But I always love seeing other people's pics of it.

It's fun to see what other people's favorites are. Also, to think about what are my favorites, and why.

• quinnfyre
    12 years ago

Whoops, I answered the second part wrong. I thought it was what I would recommend, vs what are my favorites. To answer it more along the lines of what you asked... I don't know how it would differ. Probably not much at all, since I mostly recommended hoyas I had direct experience with because I grow them. If I grow them, then I could feasibly share cuttings at some point. I find that how I perceive them to grow (as far as vigor and degree of fussiness) impacts my inclination to recommend them one way or the other to a new grower of hoyas. Basically, I can't recommend a hoya simply on how cool it is, if it's going to be a pain to grow, potentially. Even for this imaginary friend of mine ;)

• greedygh0st
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I totally hear the points you guys are making on feeling disinclined to recommend plants you don't know yourself. I felt that same tug myself, which is why I started with the list of plants from my collection, and then just kind of breezed over some cool wish list plants for the other question.

I guess it just depends on whether you look at yourself as a mentor, or a personal shopper with the temporary power to lay hands on plants normally out of reach. ^_~

I keep thinking: How did I forget that plant, when I read others' lists. sigillatis?! sp. square leaf?! pottsii?! Also, I totally forgot about my new love affair with surigaoensis, which is like somebody breathed a rainbow blush onto a rigida.

• quinnfyre
    12 years ago

Maybe we could do a theoretical "if you could go back in time yet still retain all your current hoya knowledge, what ten hoyas would YOU start yourself off with, no limits to accessibility?" survey. I'm interested to see what people would choose for themselves.

• Denise
    12 years ago

Susan,

No, I hadn't heard about a splashy clone of macrophylla! This would be one I would go out of my way to get, since mac is probably consistently at the top of my "favorite" list, and I LOVE the very speckled Hoya leaves. Can you find a photo to link?

Denise in Omaha

• tigerdawn
    12 years ago

I hesitate to answer the first two questions because I'm not yet familiar with the more exotic varieties. But I think I'll give this last one a shot. Keeping in mind I have less than 25 species now...

In real life I got the species in approximately this order: carnosa, DS-70, chelsea, +compacta, *brevialata, wayettii, +bella, KP, obovata, lacunosa Royal Flush, pubicalyx Red Buttons, KQ, Dischidia Geri, +kerrii, +obscura, curtisii, chlorantha, parasitica variegata, +Eriostemma Optimistic, rigida, excavata, and *australis Lisa. *deceased +difficult for me

So! I think I would go back and do: carnosa, KQ, obovata, Chelsea, curtisii, pubicalyx, lacunosa, parasitica, wayettii, chlorantha. Or something like that. Maybe DS-70 instead of another.

I don't know what ones I would choose that I don't have experience with. Some of the cuttings I got of "easy" plants have taken a long time to root and grow. So I can't say for sure that a new species will work for me like it does for others.

• greedygh0st
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hmmm interesting question, Quinn. So, at its core, it's a desert island question, because it is choosing the 10 hoyas we want most, without restrictions. Except let's make it the LOST island, instead of a desert island, so our selections can all turn into weeds.

Okay, now I'm just imagining us all showing up on the LOST island at the same time with 10 Hoyas each.

LOL

• tigerdawn
    12 years ago

That would be awesome!

• quinnfyre
    12 years ago

As long as there are no smoke monsters. And we have approximately ten different hoyas each. I say approximately, because you know there will be overlap, but it would suck if we all had the same ten hoyas, right?

• greedygh0st
    Original Author
    12 years ago

LOL I was worrying about the same thing, Quinn. My brain went: hmmm, maybe we should coordinate before we leave for LOST island. And then I snapped back to reality. :3

I think the lists above are a testimony to the fact that we would definitely not have exact duplicate lists, although there are certainly some plants that would be like the inevitable surplus of ambrosia salad at potlucks.

Honestly, I think I could deal with a smoke monster if I got to complain all the time about having to take a machete to my "weeds," a la TG. ^_~

• quinnfyre
    12 years ago

Ted Green cracks me up. I haven't checked out his page lately though. Perhaps it is in self defense. If I look, I might want something. And I need to hold off at least until the Liddle order comes in. Well, and the Epiphytica order... sigh. It will be exciting when they arrive! But some rearranging will probably be in order.

I forgot about tjadasmalangensis. I would totally add that to a list somewhere. If I had the room I would get that now. Although the ones taking up the most room at this moment are probably sp. Tanna Island and buotii, with finlaysonii a close third. And that amuses me, because neither sp. Tanna Island nor buotii have particularly large leaves.

• greedygh0st
    Original Author
    12 years ago

LOL Those small leaved ones are total traitors with their space demands! The large leaved ones get a bad rap, when really it's these speedy ninjas that get us in trouble.

I actually did make a Ted list and an Aleya list recently, but I think they're going to be on the back burner for a while. I want to leave the cuttings I currently have in the aquariums there until the last minute, because several of them are budding up, but I need to at least clear shelf space for them before Liddle and Epiphytica are swarming all over me.

• quinnfyre
    12 years ago

I'll start getting worried when Mathilde or retusa or lacunosa are the ones taking up all the room. And I'll forgive sp. Tanna Island and buotii if they bloom for me. Not a hint from either of them. But ones with far fewer leaves and much less growth have bloomed for me. I guess you never really know, eh? I'll take the blooms wherever they come! Makes up for the ones that are taking their sweet time.

Are you getting many from the Liddle and Epiphytica orders?

• mdahms1979
    12 years ago

I have to admit that making these lists was way too hard. The first list was not that bad but the second list was tough because I wanted to include at least 15 different species. I am going to add the others on the end of the list because I can't seem to choose. I selected plants in the second list based on how well they grow, beautiful leaves or uniqueness of plant or flowers.

List 1.

1. Hoya lasiantha
    2. Hoya lambii
    3. Hoya sp Haruku
    4. Hoya buotii
    5. Hoya pubicalyx
    6. Hoya lacanosa
    7. Hoya imperalis
    8. Hoya polystachya
    9. Hoya vitellinoides
    10.Hoya fungii

List 2.

1. Hoya buotii
    2. Hoya bicknellii
    3. Hoya acuta
    4. Hoya cagayanensis
    5. Hoya erythrina
    6. Hoya heuschkeliana subsp. cajanoae
    7. Hoya imperalis
    8. Hoya lambii
    9. Hoya memoria
    10.Hoya sp. Haruku(amazing growth and very attractive plant)
    11. Hoya pubicalyx
    12. Hoya polystachya
    13. Hoya tsangii (the real one!)
    14. Hoya sp Estrella Waterfall
    15. Hoya sp Sulawesi GPS 7729 (fast grower similar to Hoya brevialata)

Mike

• greedygh0st
    Original Author
    12 years ago

/Quinn I ordered in the ballpark of 10 from each. 20-25 cuttings at once isn't bad - I think I max out at around 40, but my comfort zone is closer to Do you have a lot coming?

/Mike This is kind of a duh moment, but I had no idea the yellow heuschkeliana was 'subsp. cajanoae.' Makes me wonder where I was researching this plant, since that name pulls up all my favorite sources.

I totally agree that sp. Haraku is an amazing plant. It has a really nice pairing of branching growth habit with distinctive leaf type - instantly recognizable. I also really like that you thought to include acuta and erythrina. I feel kind of guilty about neglecting these now.

• mdahms1979
    12 years ago

When I first got Hoya sp Haruku I was not really impressed by its plain green leaves. After about six months to a year my cutting had become a large plant and even tried to bloom but I accidently ripped the peduncle off while watering. Anyways this is a very lush looking Hoya for a hanging basket and I think it is perfect for people who want a nice care free Hoya.
    My Hoya acuta (red one from DL) is a total beast and the leaves are huge. I like this plant because it grows very well but I am still waiting for flowers. Hoya eriantha is the same, grows very well and looks awesome but I have not coaxed blooms from it yet either.

Mike

• quinnfyre
    12 years ago

GG, I didn't order very many. About 6-7 total. I have to watch it, space wise. I'm also not sure that I can put any of them in my terrarium, because I have a lot of recently unflasked orchid seedlings in there, and I worry about the possibility of introducing any nasties to the little guys. We'll see. I just didn't want to miss out on the group orders though! And if I get what I want (as in, available for shipping) I will be very excited!

It would be so much fun to say I had 30-40 cuttings/starter plants coming to me, but I think I would have no place left to sleep if I did that :P

• greedygh0st
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Ah yes, I suppose it would be in the Hoyas' best interest to wipe out your baby orchid population to ensure more room for themselves. ^_~

I really thought I was going to slow down this year, but I think my resolution for next year will be not to lie to myself so much.

• gennykins
    12 years ago

GG-

You are such a wit! You are my guaranteed daily dose of laughter. If you start a blog or write a book, let me know so I can read it.

Lisa

• mdahms1979
    12 years ago

Quinn have the orchid seedlings developed their cuticle yet? Once the waxy cuticle forms after they have been unflasked they are pretty good at resisting infection. I have a compot of small Cymbidium seedlings in a covered propigation dome with my Gesneriad and they have not shown any problems even though some bugs and fungus popped up on a couple of the other plants in there.

So what did you unflask cause I am curious about your little orhcids? An Angraecoid of some sort perhaps? My Cymbidium seedlings were a gift and I don't know what to do with them because I can't bloom those plants in my warm apartment.

Mike

• quinnfyre
    12 years ago

Well, I still have a bunch of Aerangis modesta growing on in there. The mounted ones are doing quite well. The potted ones have almost all bit the dust. I would've mounted them all but I ran out of supplies and haven't gotten more. The recently unflasked guys are Aerangis mystacidii and Neofinetia falcata 'Shu Ten Nou'. They are so cute. I really really wanted Aerangis punctata but wasn't able to reserve a flask in time. I am crazy and requested a reservation of a Cattleya luteola flask as well! Hopefully it won't come ready for a while now, I need some breathing room.

I'm more worried about insects than disease. My first terrarium, which houses my very lovely Aerangis kirkii, acquired bush snails somewhere along the way and I Can't. Get. Rid. Of. Them. I hate them so much. It also effectively means I cannot add to that terrarium, or move anything in there to another, because I dare not spread the snails around. It frustrates me enough that I want to just start over and scrap that one, but Aerangis kirkii is not the easiest to come by, and mine has done a lot of growing and is turning into quite the specimen, as long as I keep up with it. Plus there are a few other nice specimens in there (like Pleurothallis grobyi and Chaemangis hariotiana), which are more easily replaceable, but I don't want to have to.

Hey, so far the hoyas that are in the big terrarium are behaving quite nicely. They have not been attacking the orchids or taking over their space. Everyone is getting along. In fact, the hoyas in there get watered quite regularly because I have to check on the mounted orchids almost daily.

Resolution shmesolution... I feel like half the time when one makes a resolution, you are daring yourself to do the opposite. Or maybe that's just me :)

• greedygh0st
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Aw thanks Lisa /blush

I do have a couple of blogs, but they are just in their fetal stages, although embarrassingly Mike of all people discovered the plant one (isn't that just like him?)

I figured I'd post the link in my profile after I'd figured out how to pace myself lol!

/Quinn No, it's not just you. I feel, as soon as my head gives birth to a preachy resolution-making persona, it begets a rebellious teen to flip it the bird.

• mdahms1979
    12 years ago

GG I have left no Hoya nor Kohleria stone unturned, twas only a matter of time. LOL

Quinn have you tried to lure the snails with beer in a little cup or some snail bait? I had those in my orchid case but they have not been a problem. The sow bugs or wood lice on the other hand are a pain.
    Cattleya luteola is the Cattleya I want the most but no one has it in Canada. I am not much of a Cattleya person but I have four smaller species so I guess you could say I dabble.

Mike

• quinnfyre
    12 years ago

If they were the more ordinary type of snail, snail bait would probably work but bush snails are tiny and don't seem to go at all for the nontoxic (to me, not them) variety of snail bait. So I have some of a type that other orchid growers have used but it makes me nervous to handle it. So then I put it off and delay, and start to dislike checking on those orchids, and it all starts to feel like a chore. Right now I am trying to just power through and take care of them as if there were no snails, and get to the nasty snail bait when I get around to it, and am doing alright with that plan of action. It does anger me to see the persistent little things though.

Luteola is a cute little thing. Somewhat odd. I don't grow Catts, just this one, and it is an unusual one. My current one is not doing awesome (my fault) but I have seen it bloom once! I was surprised. They say it has an odd fragrance, and they are right. I think I saw it described as warm vinyl or something like that. It does have a plastic-y smell, but not unpleasant. Just weird.

Uh oh, what should I know about wood lice? I don't have sowbugs, but at least I know what they look like to know I don't have them. I don't know anything about wood lice, but anything called lice cannot be good.

Yeah GG, I have a contrary streak that I don't quite understand. It's like part of myself hasn't quite gotten out of that two year old "NO" phase. I just try to deal with it. Especially by not tempting it with things like resolutions ;)

Sponsored