SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
an_ill_mannered_ache

giyg... tropical harvest... malanga, roselle, bananas

what are you grazing in your garden?

an interesting time of the year in the garden, isn't it? i'm harvesting batatas, malanga, bananas, hot peppers, and roselle--like i'm in trinidad! but, at the same time, my brassicas and lettuce crops are well-established and poised to really put on some growth as soon as we get some cooler weather (and a bit of rain, i hope!). my tagetes (marigolds) are blooming their heads off, and zinnias are getting ready to bloom in a week or two, but so are my cold weather standards, calendula, oncidium orchids, and alstroemeria.

so, i know we've got a couple of other communal posts going on, but i'm always interested to see not only what you're

harvesting, but what you've got planted and ready to go for the next 'season'.

still working on understanding how to grow malanga. it's so tasty, so easy, but wow does it have a long season. i think i've decided it needs a 10 month season--which, given its persistent tubers, isn't as unlikely as it sounds:

From tropical harvest
From tropical harvest

i cut out most of my roselles a month ago because they hadn't started forming calyxes yet and I needed space for my cucumbers (yeah, the ones that got destroyed by stinkbugs...). i really regret having done that--the roselles are just covered in "berries." ah, well, live and learn. creating a long-lived annual/perennial vegetable bed should help solve this problem.

From tropical harvest

mexican tarragon... pretty stuff.

From tropical harvest

Comments (15)