SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
prairie_love

Random questions - Katies tomato soup and Carols pickled cherries

prairie_love
16 years ago

I have been trying to get tomatoes preserved recently and am trying a couple of new recipes. I have a few questions.

Katie's Roasted Garlic and Tomato Soup - which is fabulous by the way - why is this safe to can? The veggies are brushed with oil, which I thought would be a risk, and there is no added acid. I chose to freeze this, not because of those concerns but because my tomatoes came from blighted vines and I am paranoid (!), but still, I wondered why this is safe.

Carol posted a pickled cherry tomato recipe - the toms are soaked in a brine overnight, then put in a pickling solution and left for three weeks. I realize this is not a canned recipe and therefore has a limited shelf (or refrigerator) life. I haven't tasted these yet, as I am dutifully waiting the recommended three weeks, but I can tell they will be yummy. Here's my question. How concerned are you all about cracked cherry tomatoes? I have a couple of varieties that seem to be very crack-prone (especially Sungold). When I picked them, there were no cracks. Some cracked as they were being washed, and some have cracked since putting in the brine. Would you remove these cracked ones? Or will they taste fine? I assume they are not a safety risk as this isn't a canned recipe anyways, but am I wrong?

Thanks all,

Ann, having fun with new recipes

Comments (6)