SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
greentoe357

Ugly Ducklings of the Hoya family

greentoe357
9 years ago

I hear all the time about people adding hoyas to their wish lists after somebody posts a bloom picture, or mentions the scent, or post a particularly delicious description of how the leaves look. Have you ever heard of somebody refusing to put something on their list, or crossing something out or going "eww"? Yeah, me neither.

We are a positive bunch, but let's be mean girls for a bit and talk about hoyas that don't do anything for us, that smell disgusting, grow all crooked or just do not speak to us in any other ways.

To start, here's my list.

* kerrii: untraineable branches, takes lots of space, ugly drippy messy bloody-looking flowers, and I am not gaga over the leaf shape, either (although this last one is especially a matter of taste, and I know many disagree).

* Eriostemmas: love 'em to death, actually, but it's not hot enough here and not enough light and space. So yeah, I am gonna tell myself I hate them, so that I can get over them. :-)

* arnottiana: the scent has been described as spoiled cheese or vomit or chlorine, none of which I have a strong desire to sniff.

* linearis: never seen it in person, but the look is kinda weird, lone, sickly, straggly and sad when just one or a few strands are hanging down. People say you need a really full pot for it to look good. If I ever get it, I hope to achieve THIS million-dollar look (suetran's picture):

Comments (34)

Sponsored