SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
marinewifenc

best way to get hostas for cheap?

Marinewifenc
11 years ago

I adore hostas, all of them and I am not a collector so named means nothing to me. We live in a house we rent and my husband is military so we move a lot, so he won't let me put a bunch of money into a garden. I have a huge side yard that is full shade and would look beautiful with hostas growing but they are expensive for the budget i am sitting on. I stared some from seed but it is my first time growing from seed and i just started them so they won't be ready to go out yet.

My desire for hostas is, my parents have always had a gorgeous hosta garden and it reminds me of them and back home. We just recently found out my mom has cancer and so they will be unable to come visit me and it had made me really want to change things about my home to feel closer to them.

There's never hostas at farmers markets here or at the plant fair, infact no one around me seems to grow anything at all. I've tried looking locally for someone looking to divide theirs but no luck. I rarely even see hostas at nurseries here but when I do the cheapest are $5 a plant and id need probably 40 so it's way out of my budget. I've read stories of others finding construction companies let people take the hostas or new home owners wanting to get rid of their hostas, but i don't know anyone and have never really seen anyone growing any here at all. everyone has the same few plants and basically just what landscapers put in when the house was built. I also have no friends here LOL and im a new gardener. probably a good thing i didn't see someone with a hosta garden because id be temped to divide their plants, especially if they didn't care for them.

any tips on how to get any hostas cheap, any sales or websites anywhere? I wish i had started seed last year so id have hostas already in the ground but I never thought these circumstances would come up or that I would feel this way. My family is in canada and I am in NC, coastal, so it is very hard to make it feel like home.

Comments (20)