SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
pixidustt77

Experiments with VF-11,SuperThrive,Miracle Grow

pixidustt77
17 years ago

OkÂI have been experimenting with EleanorÂs VF-11, SuperTrive, and Miracle Grow for about a year now. If anyone is interested here is what I have found.

I had 3 7" Cuttings of Hoya Carnosa, I put them in 3 separate bottles filled with VF-11(sample#1), SuperThrive (Sample#2) and MG (sample#3). Sample #1 rooted within 3 weeks, sample # 2 rooted within 2 weeks, and sample #3 rooted within 3 weeks. Now, I do have a sample of Hoya Carnosa sitting in plain water for about 3 weeks and still no roots. Ok, now, I have used VF-11 on my blooming African Violets for about 4 month now (I have 2 pots). The other pot I had sprayed with plain water. I have to say that there are very few and minor differences in plant appearance and health. Next, I also used all of the three mentioned plant "aids" as an add-ons to my fertilized for about 8 month now. SuperThrive is the only thing that gave my plants slight growth boost. SuperThrive is a hormone (basic rooting hormone)) and vitamin B-1. But the studies had been done by some major University (donÂt remember which one, you can Google it) regarding adding B-1 vitamin to the plants and it came inconclusive. What really seems to work and fairly inexpensive (just do the search on-line or look for it in a local gardening store) is a fertilizer made from fish and kelp/seaweed, like NeptuneÂs Harvest (or other fish emulsion fertilizers). It smells AWFULL (like fish), but my plants love it. Those types of fertilizers also promote beneficial bacteria growth. I have tried several organic fertilizers, including Fox Farms) and I (and my plants) really like NeptuneÂs Harvest the best, it seems to be more concentrated. Now, I have been growing plants for about 5 years now (I am new to Hoyas though) and I do have to say that I, personally, had been getting better results from using organic fertilizers. I also had learn that anything that sound too good to be true is defiantly too good to be true. And for the price to me and my plants EleanorÂs VF-11, SuperThrive or Miracle Grow is not worth it. But that is just me. I say try it. If you like it, use it. But I have a feeling that most people who are convinced that VF-11 id the "Miracle" just want to believe it.

Comments (12)

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES