SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mlwgardener

Fall Daylily Photos

mlwgardener
15 years ago

I finally got inspired enough with these two fall blooms to take some photos. I have an older plant of Spiny Sea Urchin that bloomed in the early Spring that was ugly. This is a gift plants first bloom. I think it's just right pretty. I hope it stays that way when it settles in.

This is also a first bloom on a new plant of Alaskan Mist that didn't bloom earlier this year.

ALASKAN MIST

SPINY SEA URCHIN

I hope you enjoy them. Blessings to all, Mona

Comments (13)

• shive
    15 years ago

Great edge on Spiny Sea Urchin! The other one is very pretty too!

• maximus7116
    15 years ago

Mona, Alaskan Mist is gorgeous! I love the coloration and texture. How nice to have two beauties going at this time of year.

• rarejem
    15 years ago

Mona,

Both are just beautiful! I have SSU, and it was stunning for me this year, but I never managed to capture the green of the edges like you managed. Nice job! I have been just thrilled with mine this year (first year) so I hope your spring blooms were the exception rather than the norm and you enjoy it as much as I have!

Julie

• tweetypye
    15 years ago

Both are very pretty Mona, but I especially like SSU...the color combo is gorgeous!
    Jan

• tjhemmer
    15 years ago

Great looking daylilies. Hard to choose between the two, but Alaskan Mist edges out Spiny Sea Urchin.

Keep us going with your pics.

Tom

• newyorkrita
    15 years ago

I don't have either one but they are both really lovely. I wondered were you had gone off to Mona, as you haven't been around lately.

• lalalandwi
    15 years ago

Oooh, I'm getting so excited to see my SSU! I'll TRY not to get disappointed if the 1st blooms stink.

• mlwgardener
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I've been lurking and reading some posts maybe 2x a week for the last month or so. I always have a slump in my energy and ambition in July and August. It wasn't quite so bad this year. I actually potted up about 40 prolifs during this time and havested seeds of course. I had less than half as many seeds this year as last year. I was really disappointed in my seeds this year. My seedlings set more pods than my hybrids did. The plants were healthy and had a fair amount of blooms, but the pods just weren't there. I know the plants are pod fertile because they set pods last year. I'm beginning to think that maybe they are not getting enough sun.I'd guess they get about 8 hours a day of direct sun. Well, mostof them anyway. I may do some moving around to see if they do better next year.

My daughter and my grandaughter were over 2 or 3 times a week and wow, does that little one year old take a lot of energy out of me!!!!

I have fibromyalgia and depression, so I have good days and bad days and try my best to see all the beautiful gifts that God gives me everyday and really look, and really see, and really feel the blessings, but some days it just plain hard.

Oh yes, I got caught up in watching the Olympics, so that was a couple of weeks that I didn't visit very much. I sure did enjoy them. It was a nice change from the everyday world of TV.

I do have one very huge blessings so far this year. I have NOT had any rust. I did a lot of moving of pots last year and tried to get them all spaced so they could get more wind and sun and I think has made a huge difference. They were really crowded last year. I did have to spray last year for about 2 months at the end of summer and I cut the plants back hard that had the rust. I guess I had about 40 pots out of 500 last year that had rust. So it wasnt bad last year but I hated the thought of having the darn stuff. I had about 10 plants in one bed in June this year that had some very pale yellow spots, but no rust. I cut them back and disposed of the leaves. They came back nice and green. I'm so thankful for NOT having any rust this year.

Spiny Sea Urchin bloomed again today but I didn't get any photos. It was still pretty. I was a bad girl today. I mowed the yard. It was the first day that we had sunshine in 9 days. I had grass and weeds that were a good 18" tall and thick. It took me an hour and a half to mow and usually it takes about half that much. I need to spend a week getting weeds out of and around my beds. The fertilizer that I put on my pots about 2 weeks ago really did a good job of growing weeds next to the pots and in the beds.

Did anyone have any problems with the hurricane??? I prayed for all of you that live close to the coast. We only got about 2" of rain during the 9 days of clouds and light rain. I heard that many in NW MS got floods of rain. I sure hope it didn't hurt ya'll.

Ok, I've rattled long enough. I send my blessings to everyone, Mona

• luvtosharedivs
    15 years ago

What refreshing photos, Mona!
    I think I have Spiny Sea Urchin on my wish list, but I added it again, just in case. My list is 5 pages long (written) and I'm in the process of typing a new list, and saving it on my computer. It's so nice to be able to add to a list in alphabetical order on the computer.

Sorry to hear about your "maladies", but I must say, you sure have a marvelous attitude in spite of your bad days. Counting your blessings is what keeps you going, I think. People who complain all the time make themselves more miserable.

Thanks for brightening our day with your beautiful blooms!

Julie

• newyorkrita
    15 years ago

Mona- You always stuck me as a very positive person here on the forum who was thankful for the good in life. Please keep up your positive attitude. I know daylilies and looking at daylily pictures here on the forum always make me feel good so I hoper it does the same for you. Stay with us!

• opnjmprs
    15 years ago

Your DL's are beautiful Mona. I think the one you took of SSU is one of the best I've seen. Mine never looks quite that good. I had to laugh about the late blooms on your AM. Mine is blooming for the first time this year right now also...very late for here, but I'm not complaining. I'm happy for whatever DL bloom we get this time of year. Keep on counting your blessings....it sure can work miracles when you're not feeling the best.

Linda

• Maryl (Okla. Zone 7a)
    15 years ago

Wow, how beautiful. You've done a wonderful job capturing their beauty. If I could have only one (and how cruel a choice would that be) I'd have to go with Alaskan Mist. I think I like the lettuce edges better then the toothy ones...I hope you beat your depression. It can be very hard to deal with. Ups and downs, on and offs. But you are needed here in order to make our little hearts aflutter from the beauty of your daylilies, so keep up the good fight.

• mlwgardener
    Original Author
    15 years ago

My heart felt thanks to everyone. Your kind words always brighten my days. I walked one of my 3 spoiled rotten puppies out back today and SSU and AM were both blooming. They amazed me with their beauty again today. They are the only ones that I have blooming and I haven't seen any other scapes. BUT!!! I do have some volunteer tomato plants that I potted up about 5 weeks ago that have BLOOMS!! I just potted them up out of my compost pile on a whem. Then when they were about 6" tall I potted them into two 5 gallon pots and they have grown like crazy. They are about 24" tall and if we ever get anymore sunshine, they should get even bigger. We have had 2 days of spotty sunshine in the last 2 weeks and now they are predicting more rain for the next 5 days!!! If IKE turns around and heads back North(which they keep saying it might) we will have even more.(My prayers go out to the folks in Texas for the storm to just fizzle out.)

I hope my tomatos are the little grape tomatos. If they are, they stand a chance of making before our first frost in November.

Again, blessings to each and everyone of you. Today has been a nice peaceful day and filled with many smiles. Mona