SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
caliloo_gw

For Ken - cup photos and explanation

17 years ago

Hey Ken!

They say a picture is worth a thousand words or something like that. Well, I'm a lousy typist! lol!

Here are a couple of photos of a seedling that got forgotten last year and spent the winter in it's cup. I pulled it into the house so I could have some early spring amusement and it is still going. I bottom water with 1/4 strength fertilizer. BTW - this is still an 8 oz cup and I use a lid from a yogurt container to keep the soil in. Cut several slashes for drainage/watering. When I move them to 16 oz cups I use the lids that are meant for the cups. You can get them in packs of 1000 at BJs/Sams/Costco whatever your box store of choice is. Or you can use washed out yogurt contianers if the kids like that sort of thing, just be sure to get the ones with the plastic lids that can be resealed, not just the foil caps.

The rationale is that the roots have more room to grow when the cup is inverted. The bottom of an 8 oz cup is maybe 1 1/2 inches. Not a litl of space if you have actively growing roots. Turn it upside down and the room for them to expand is doubled (or better). Plus with less surface area, there is less evaporation and less chance of really drying out.

I cannot take credit for this procedure, it goes to Leafmould on Hallson's.

{{gwi:590010}}

{{gwi:948653}}

{{gwi:948655}}

{{gwi:893219}}

{{gwi:948658}}

{{gwi:948660}}

Comments (5)