SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
newyorkrita

Some Mulch Again

newyorkrita
14 years ago

Mulch and mulching is on my mind today because I was off getting mulching materials today. First I went off to the local nursery to get some bags of pine bark nuggetts. Had some but used them up afew days ago mulching my bearded iris plants and need some more for some things here and there.

Most of the garden will get straw, not bagged mulches. So after I went and unloaded the bags of pine bark, I went out to the local Agway and bought 8 bales of straw. Will keep them in the old mini van were they can stay dry and take them out one at a time as I use them. No back seats at all in the 18 year old Plymouth that I use to haul all my garden stuff.

Many years I go and get bagged leaves to use for mulch as they are free. I used to have places to store them but no longer as I have put gardenbeds in all those areas. I would keep them all winter and mulch in the spring. I would mulch the shrub border in fall but the flower beds in spring.

Last year I had my guy that does my lawn dump two truckloads of fall leaves on the driveway and I mulched EVERYTHING in the fall. The daylilies were all snug for the winter. It was such a great amount of work and I am not doing it again. All those evergreen and semi evergreens that struggled to get thru the previous winter unmulched still struggled to get thru last winter all nicely mulched. Forget it, not worth the trouble.

Going back to using the straw because its easier for me to manage. Much easier to haul around the garden and put out than all the loose leaves on the driveway.

Will get afew bagged leaves come fall in case I need them and use straw in the newly planted gardenbeds but am not going thru all that winter mulching again. It didn't help the southern daylilies that struggle thru the winter and my northern hardy daylilies don't need it.

Comments (12)

Sponsored
KA Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Industry Leading General Contractors in Columbus